Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MagicSN

Old November 9th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Hi!

I just read on enworld.org:

"
It is our intention to bring back the OGL. We just don't know when we are going to do it yet.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/#ixzz3IZvHrA25
"

So it seems I definitely will be able to release my Hero Lab implementation for D&D 5e at some point.

I have to admit 2 weeks ago I still thought it would never happen...

I also got a reply from Mike Mearls which sounded that personally he would be very much in favor for the OGL. He did not promise anything in that email, but that was before the recent news, that he replied. I guess when he replied it was not yet "for public release".

The bad news is that they did not give any timeframe. Might be that they first want to develop an "own official" software and release it before allowing others to do so.

We will see. But it is big good news, anyways.

Best regards,
Steffen
MagicSN is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
EberronKnight

Old November 10th, 2014, 07:12 AM
I agree this is big good news, now we wait.

All the work you've been putting into this... it would be so awesome to have the OGL unleash your work on to us 5E fans.

EK
EberronKnight is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old November 10th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Yes it looks very promising, I suspect we will see more activity once DMG has gone live.
talsharien is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Ghaleon

Old November 17th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Also looking forward to what you have done SN.
Ghaleon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old November 19th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Hi!

It turned out the whole throwing weapon thing showed my current mplementation for calculating the attack/dmg value had several
small issues in the Power Cards. I decided to reimplement the relevant functions. This delayed things, but I am nearly done with this reimplementation.

BTW: The claim "5e is more simple than 4e, character generators for 5e will be so much easier to implement" is just WRONG.

4e had this streamlining of classes, basically everything calculated the same way. In the (from player perspective) more "simple" rules of 5e you have tons of "if he is of THIS class and has THIS feature the calculation is
modified THAT way". And lots of cases where the attack value depends on the WEAPON (things like "Finesse" )

The power attack final function which is pretty small for 4e is a HUGE "wall of code" for 5e (even split up into several sub-functions).

Ah, I have recently started on adding an option for people who use the GaleForce 9 Spellcards, that the spell-powers are not listed (powers from magic items, class feats etc. will still be listed) in the power cards, and only on page 1+2 instead).

I will also support optional rules from the DMG once my DMG arrives (29th, I guess).

MagicSN
MagicSN is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old November 19th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Again, thanks so much dude, for all the hard work!
Frodie is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 19th, 2014, 12:29 PM
The OGL is necessary for 3rd party product support. And I'm not talking about just Hero Lab, as there are great setting materials done by other companies out there. I own quite a few of the sword and sorcery 3rd party 3.5 books. They did a fantastic job with some of their books and it is well worth going outside the conventional gaming box for some products. Hopefully with the OGL we shall hear news of Eberron's return as well.

Just remember one thing, ladies and gentlemen, when dealing with Mimics, always have a jelly filled doughnut ready to toss at it. Mimics (and consequently DMs) tend to love these treats and mimics will often chase them out of the room if used properly, disappearing into the darkness never to be seen again for the night.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old November 20th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
The OGL is necessary for 3rd party product support. And I'm not talking about just Hero Lab, as there are great setting materials done by other companies out there. I own quite a few of the sword and sorcery 3rd party 3.5 books. They did a fantastic job with some of their books and it is well worth going outside the conventional gaming box for some products. Hopefully with the OGL we shall hear news of Eberron's return as well.
The big question will be - Will the OGL be usable for non-text-material ("Software") ?

There are several thinkable models which would render it good for campaign material but unusable for software. Just imagine they would
say something like "direct cites of feat/spell text is not allowed, only a reference to name/manual-page" (I guess a PDF where you can read "this spell is on page xy on PHB" would not be that useful...). I HOPE they will do a useful licence for software. But we cannot
say right now if they will.
MagicSN is offline   #8 Reply With Quote