Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

mirtos

Old August 29th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
Sharing a canned module someone typed into Realm Works falls mostly under fair use with your regular gaming group. However, if it goes wider then that and is made public to the masses then I think you are crossing into infringement of Intellectual Property. I have a feeling once the holders of said IP are made aware of such broad disbursement of their creation is made public, they would either ask for recompense or seek to have the material removed.

Again, this has nothing to do with something you created on your own and is your unique material.

Although watermarking of your own creation may be a feature you could turn on/off at your whim... I think the actual imbedding of the watermark code into the material should be handled by LWD's store servers. That way they have a permanent record of digital codes that can be looked up when ever an IP holder comes knocking and asking for the name of the individual that infringed on their IP.

Theft of IP hurts smaller industries like gaming more then it hurts larger industries, but it does hurt everyone. Unfortunately, in the digital age it can't really be stopped. However, that doesn't mean the person(s) that did the initial infringement shouldn't be confronted and forced to make recompense.

If I had a campaign world I created with possible plans for selling sometime down the road, I'd be very upset if it was thrown up on the net for everyone to look at. I of course have no problem sharing with my local gaming group, unless they start sharing beyond the members of the group and a few other friends. The same would go for a writing project (book, screenplay, or whatever)... I wouldn't want any of it distributed to the general public and would be rather upset if it happened.

I suppose this brings up another question/point. How many people should you be able to share purchased content with? I know a few people that run games at the local gaming store, and they will run the same module over and over again for different groups that want to play through the module. Admittedly most of this is for D&D and Pathfinder events (which isn't a problem), but some of it isn't. How many groups should a single account be able to share purchased modules/campaign setting with? Should I be able to have 7 groups of 4 to 6 players and run that uber module for a different group every single night until its finished? What if two GM's, unbeknownst to LWD decide to share an account and one logs in in the afternoon and runs the game 7 afternoons a week for different groups of 4 to 6 players while another GM logs in at night and does the same thing? How many times should you be able to recreate a purchased module/campaign in a given period of time?
I completely agre with you on how it hurts smaller companies than larger ones, which is why I want content providers to have as much control as possible. I know it annoys some gamers, but I feel the more content providers are protected, the stronger the hobby grows. The lesser they are protected, the hobby as a whole weakens.

Of course, in my experience, it's the smaller companies, the one man shops, that not only tend to be less protected, they also tend to want more people to share their products. A gaming store I used to play in NYC, you would see the smaller providers asking the gaming store to run games there, and not force the players to buy their content. It's advertising. So in some ways, it depends on what the content providers want out of realm works.

I think you and I agree,we're just saying the same things in different ways.

As for how many, it becomes a very tough thing when you consider conventions. Even small cons, like the ones held at universities, have tons of people. I remember when I used to run games at cons for free badges. I would run the same module, my own, maybe 5 times, so like 20-25 people. Other people would run a module they purchased. Completely legal. So 6 groups would run for a single model that costs probably 20.00. Is that what they envisioned? Probably not. By nothing wrong with it.

Not sure how it works with realms works though.

Last edited by mirtos; August 29th, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
mirtos is offline   #81 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old September 2nd, 2014, 01:12 PM
+ 1 for printing and exporting.

This is a must have for me. I want a hard copy of all my efforts as well as the ability to bring it to other formats.

Are there plans for data importation?
RampagingHoardes is offline   #82 Reply With Quote
GreyMouser

Old September 5th, 2014, 12:07 PM
I used Realm Works for the first time in developing my Strategicon games that I ran this last weekend. I have it installed on my primary home PC, my laptop, and my convention Surface Pro 2. I specifically developed everything, including custom game systems, on Realm Works, and synched everything. I loved the ability to just pull out my Surface, jot some systems, character, or plot notes down into the Realm, and refine anywhere, at any time. Beautiful.

However, when it came to distributing my custom system information to my convention players, I had to go back into Realm Works, and copy/paste back into a Word document to print out and share with them, because I'm not going to be able to bring an external monitor to a convention to display information. Paper still has its place, people! Especially with respect to custom Systems rules. I print out character sheets from Hero Lab for everyone to read, why can't I print out information from Realm Works? This is a bigger shortcoming than people realize, in many circumstances.

We need a way to flag a certain snippet or collection of snippets for printing. Otherwise, why am I developing in Realm Works to begin with, when I have players and/or circumstances where the Reveal tools aren't going to be utilized? It's a wonderful tool, and I loved using it, but the lack of a print function drastically limits its usefulness.
GreyMouser is offline   #83 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 5th, 2014, 12:49 PM
@GreyMouser: If you have your Surface Pro at the table, you can readily use that to show revealed content to the players. When you use Player View and only have a single display (e.g. your tablet or a laptop), showing the Player View window takes over the entire screen on the same display. So you can setup the material you want to show off within Player View, toggle the Player View window to be visible, and then turn the tablet (or the laptop) to face the players. Heck, you could even pass the tablet around. This gives you the benefits of having a second monitor without the need for one!

I'm NOT saying that printing is unnecessary. However, you have the Surface right there and lamented not having a second monitor. You actually don't need one to leverage Player View during your games! Hopefully, this trick proves useful.
rob is offline   #84 Reply With Quote
pickin_grinnin

Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:27 AM
For me, the ability to print and export my creations is the most important feature that can be added. In fact, I probably wouldn't have bought the product originally if I had realized that it couldn't do that (my fault for not doing enough research). As it is, I have just been sitting on it and not building anything, because I don't want to do a lot of work only to find out that I'm never going to be able to extract it.

RealmWorks initially seemed to be a good central organizing place to store all the information about a world. There are a number of elements that I would like to be able to extract for use in other programs, though, and I ALWAYS want a hardcopy backup of anything I create electronically. I have been burned too many times to rely on keeping all my information in digital format.

Note that my interest is in printing and extracting my own created content. I'm less interested in doing it with other people's creations. To be honest, it's unlikely that I would ever buy someone else's RealmWorks creation, since I prefer to use my own material.

Last edited by pickin_grinnin; October 2nd, 2014 at 08:33 AM.
pickin_grinnin is offline   #85 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old October 2nd, 2014, 01:36 PM
I hope that we'll see an export feature listed in the upcoming survey. As good as it is, RW is still pretty much a Roach Motel when it comes to my data.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #86 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 2nd, 2014, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Automaton View Post
I.....is still pretty much a Roach Motel when it comes to my data.
that's funny...
I just hope it doesn't explode before we have a means to get the data...
Hey AEIOU.... have any of those leftover poptarts? I may need one after the D20pro Kickstarter.....
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #87 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:19 PM
Strongly supporting this import / export functionality.
Acenoid is offline   #88 Reply With Quote
legine

Old October 2nd, 2014, 06:15 PM
Just in case, and for the survey:

I use Paper - Notes as GM.
My usecase for Realm Works is a fast overview on NPCs and possible plot Ideas.

I currently do work double, to get the Infos I usually give out as Handout to my players. 1 In Word, 2nd in realm works.
It would ease my prepration a lot if I had an Handout Generator, that layouts and prints Handouts I define in the campaign.

I think I need to be able to print GM "Handouts" as player driven Handouts.
I would like to be able to print relationship tables. And Maps which are placed in the compact.

I think this is a big feature. But I think it would be worth it.
legine is offline   #89 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Hey AEIOU.... have any of those leftover poptarts? I may need one after the D20pro Kickstarter.....
Doh!

I've been banned from Kickstarter by she-who-must-be-obeyed. A few times.... I blame it on Frog God Games.... One can get very creative with Top Ramen and a strong will to survive.
AEIOU is offline   #90 Reply With Quote