Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Shadowchaser

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:11 PM
* Only top-level heroes may now take the Minions feat.

What does this even mean? There's a level requirement for Minions? What about low-level but incredibly connected characters like the Pulp era Shadow? Or a villain who has a low power level but lots of points to send minions at his foes with?
Shadowchaser is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM
@atlarman:
For a PL Y character, for each attack (including unarmed) that requires an attack roll, the sum of the attack bonus and the rank must equal 2*Y at most and many people argue that not having at least one attack that equals 2*Y is not meeting caps. Ditto with defense bonus and toughness save. What he added was displaying a warning if you do not meet caps. So, for example, if your only attack for your PL 10 character were a +10 DC 23 (+8 damage rank) attack, you're 2 pts under caps, while +12 DC 23 would be fine as would +10 DC 25 or +8 DC 27.

Your Strike comment sounds like you're referring to the DCA/M&M3E rules. The Hero Lab for that has not been released yet.

As for your second comment about Save DC, you can have ranks more than PL if the attack bonus is correspondingly under PL. See Page 24 of the core book for more details on Tradeoffs. Your comment about "no more than 5 at PL 10" baffles me. Could you explain yourself with an example? As far as I know, all fo the Save DCs are correctly implemented.
Duggan is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowchaser View Post
* Only top-level heroes may now take the Minions feat.

What does this even mean? There's a level requirement for Minions? What about low-level but incredibly connected characters like the Pulp era Shadow? Or a villain who has a low power level but lots of points to send minions at his foes with?
If I were to hazard a guess, this means Minions and Sidekicks can't have Minions and Sidekicks, but I'm currently about 20 miles away from my copy of the software, so I don't know for certain.
Duggan is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Send a message via MSN to atlarman Send a message via Yahoo to atlarman

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Well I found something right away after downloading the beta- It completely deleted or at least ignored my heros pet rotwieler lol and yeah i got that friendly and annoying reminder that my attk bonuses arent 'capped' lol and i got something called a dependacy error"other hero" - im assuming its because of the pet i "had" oooh my poor dog! lmao
I even tried reversing this by re-downloading/importing v.3.6c but no luck lmdao!

Last edited by atlarman; July 15th, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
atlarman is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Old July 15th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Duggan-First off T Y for trying to clarify the caps thing- though for the life of me IDK where this comes from...the only thing i see in the rules regauding attack bonus is that at pwr level 10 your max attk or def bonus is 10 nothing i see mentions a 2*pl cap or a minimum or that ya need any attk at 2* pl - do you have a page reference mine is pg 17. (pocket players guide....probably close if not the same in corebook.)
As for save DCs- it does read on the table on page 17 "max save DC modifer +10 (@ pl 10) so when it comes to powers the max dc save ya can have would be 20 (if following this rule)
Lastly my "strike comment DOES NOT come from MM3- i havent seen that yet lol....it comes from both the txt under the mighty extra under stike and the discription of "STR bonus to srtike feat(or xtra ?) within HL itself.
Duggan: sorry dude ,I did not see the whole trade off section in ur post til after i wrote the last(yep i knew of trade offs but i was referring to the rule as isw/o trade( offs. AS for my max pwr ranks comment...i was referring to trying to keep the save DCs at 20 or lower(ie max save DC MODIFIER=+ 10 so total save DC(without trade offs) should be 20... now that im looking at it I see now that maxpower ranks would actually be 10 (powers save DC 10 plus rank. I must have confused this w toghness saves 15+ranks or something. If this is the case im at a complete loss to explain why i recently had to drop my mighty strike adamantine claws power down to 2 ranks in order to finally end up with a 20 save? IDK what's up with it.You should be alowed 10 ranks in a power and get a save DC of twenty. your right.

Last edited by atlarman; July 15th, 2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Adressing a portion of DUGGINS post I missed the 1st time
atlarman is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old July 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
If I were to hazard a guess, this means Minions and Sidekicks can't have Minions and Sidekicks, but I'm currently about 20 miles away from my copy of the software, so I don't know for certain.
Ohhhh!

I thought it was a game 'Level' not a programming structure 'Level'. I was confused.

My bad!
Shadowchaser is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old July 15th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowchaser View Post
Can we have that 'Power Level Cap' warning turned off by default? I mean, it seems like it's indicating a 'broken' character when I haven't even built one. I'd rather it only showed up if I asked it to.

Just me, others can vote yea or nay, obviously

Edit- Well, I figured out where the check box was the third time looking for it. Sorry.
Well Shadowchaser, you're echoing my ealier comment on that. So that makes two of us voting for "off" by default. Hmm, I wonder how close that makes us to being the majority opinion?

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old July 15th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Baki has +8 to hit and a DC 27 save on his unarmed strike as well as two non-damaging attacks with attack bonus +6 and DC 22, and yet is stated to not be meeting caps by 4. Ubik costs 5 more pp when his enhanced traits are turned on.

For Baki, removing Attack Specialization and buying up 2 ranks of Attack Focus (melee) does the same (which argues it's not just unarmed since then both the Trip and the Snare are +8, DC 22). Removing both feats and buying up base attack gets rid of the validation message.

For Ubik, it looks like I'm being charged twice for my feats. Turning on the Enhanced Traits adds 5 to my Feats value, for 15 to 20, odd since there's only 4 points of direct feats in the Enhanced Traits. and... ahah! It's the enhanced dodge focus and the enhanced defensive roll. I normally have 1 rank of Defensive Roll and 2 in Dodge Focus. These values go up to 5 and 3 respectively with the enhanced traits. The other feats probably aren't doing this since they're entirely separate while Defensive Roll and Dodge Focus are adding on to traits I already have.

^_^ Alright, on to check a few more of the characters.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Problem Characters.zip (106.7 KB, 2 views)
Duggan is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Old July 15th, 2010, 07:22 PM
the pet feat also seems to haxe vanished....its not even on the form for a brand new character to take...not to mention my existing chacter who had a dog is now supossedly in violation.
atlarman is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Old July 15th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer View Post
Well Shadowchaser, you're echoing my ealier comment on that. So that makes two of us voting for "off" by default. Hmm, I wonder how close that makes us to being the majority opinion?

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer.
id prefer'off' default to that one too. in fact ive already hidden it and made that the default.
atlarman is offline   #20 Reply With Quote