Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Vargr

Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:24 AM
@ruhar:

Could your "E 1" be sorted last because it is a different category?

So RW sorts it thusly:

First: Category
Second: Prefix (if choosen), or
Alphabetically (if choosen)

Thus category Further information comes before Incident.

It might explain it.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; April 2nd, 2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added category clarification
Vargr is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
@ruhar:

Could your "E 1" be sorted last because it is a different category?

That's what I think it's doing and it shouldn't do that. You can select "Organize Similar Kinds of Topic" but I don't have that selected. I do have "Sort Topics by Prefix" selected and the prefix is suppose to show before the title. In my mind that means that everything would be sorted first by prefix then by title.
ruhar is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old April 2nd, 2015, 12:14 PM
I agree, I wouldn't expect it to sort by category before prefix.

Maybe one of LW hardworking developers can enlighten us.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
ThatOneMike

Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:03 PM
I'm trying to understand what you're doing, because I do not have this problem, and I believe my sorting works just like you're describing you want.

I organize my topics by similar kind, and I place things in containers. I then use map legends for my prefix, and sort by prefix. I get the attached. Are you trying to do something different?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RWmike02.jpg (25.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by ThatOneMike; April 2nd, 2015 at 01:09 PM.
ThatOneMike is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneMike View Post
I'm trying to understand what you're doing, because I do not have this problem, and I believe my sorting works just like you're describing you want.

I organize my topics by similar kind, and I place things in containers. I then use map legends for my prefix, and sort by prefix. I get the attached. Are you trying to do something different?
ThatOneMike, I am not organizing by similar kinds of topic. I have selected "Show Containing Topic Hierarchy" because I want to see everything in their containers. I have "Show Prefix Before Name When Available" selected because if a topic needs to be in a specific order then I use a prefix. And I "Sort Topics By Prefix" selected so anything that has a prefix is sorted. That is all that I have selected.

If you look at just the "E #" on my list they are numbered E 1-5. Topics "E 1-4" are the same type and topic "E 1" is different. Topic "E 1" is at the bottom after topic "E 4" instead of at the top.

That means it's organizing by topic, then by prefix, then by title. That's not what I have selected. Now do you get it ThatOneMike?

ruhar is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
ThatOneMike

Old April 3rd, 2015, 07:10 AM
I do see one strange behavior when I uncheck Organize by Similar Kinds of Topics: it still sorts by

Topic Kind | Alphabetical

instead of just alphabetical, as you might expect with one combined list. Seems like there might be a bug there.

However, going to your original post, you simply wanted things within containers sorted by prefix. I am able to achieve this behavior with my previous post. I tested with "Organize by Similar..." as well, to the same effect. So perhaps something else is going on with your database.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RWmike03.jpg (129.4 KB, 7 views)
ThatOneMike is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:16 AM
Thanks ThatOneMike. Maybe I have something checked or unchecked that shouldn't be. It happened in another container I just created so I sent screen shots and a full description to the support team. Hopefully I'll hear soon if it's me or the program. I'll keep everyone posted.
ruhar is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:28 AM
Someday, an Excel-like build-a-sort functionality (or even something pivot-table-like if LWD wants to go crazy with it) where we can determine what order sorts should happen (or data be displayed) and whether they are A-Z or Z-A would be nice. That way we could create more useful groupings.

I must admit that I currently like my cities sorted together and my terrain sorted together. But like others, it's not how I would have expected it to work. I'm happy with it but it isn't intuitive.
AEIOU is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Someday, an Excel-like build-a-sort functionality (or even something pivot-table-like if LWD wants to go crazy with it) where we can determine what order sorts should happen (or data be displayed) and whether they are A-Z or Z-A would be nice. That way we could create more useful groupings.

I must admit that I currently like my cities sorted together and my terrain sorted together. But like others, it's not how I would have expected it to work. I'm happy with it but it isn't intuitive.
That would be ideal and maybe in time. Since they're breaking new ground we'll give them some time...couple of months at least. lol
ruhar is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old June 27th, 2015, 04:18 PM
I want to update anyone still interested in this issue or has the same issue in the future. David from LW looked at my realm and found that it was a combination of a bug (now fixed) and something I was doing wrong. Here is what he sent me:
There are actually two issues at play with the sorting with one a bug and the other intentional.

First the bug: When you view topics without organizing by similar kinds of topics, we still end up sorting the top-most level by the similar kinds of topics so the top-most grouping can end up in the wrong order. We'll fix this for the next release.

The other issue where you see the subtopics sorting strangely is intentional design. Topics of the "Further Information" category has a special property of being sorted ahead of other topics and thus you see your three topics of this category showing up before the other topics. The solution would be for you to move these topics to another category. If you happen to like the "Further Information" structure, you can look at duplicating the category within the "Manage/Categories" screen and then moving the topics to that new category. You can easily move all topics of the "Further Information" category to another category also within the "Manage/Categories" screen.

For your reference, here is information from the release notes when we added the "Further Information" category:
• The “Further Information” category has been added to allow large topics to be broken up into smaller chunks. You can create one or more Further Information topics to hold portions of material for a lengthy topic and make that topic their container. All Further Information topics will always be sorted before topics of any other category when viewed as a hierarchy. This allows supplemental information to be kept in immediate proximity to the appropriate topic, even when lots of other topics may also be contained. More details about this category will be added to the “Tips & Tricks” document in the near future.
Thank you David for your help.
ruhar is offline   #20 Reply With Quote