Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 21st, 2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber42 View Post
My Crossover free trial just expired so I'm more interested in this now than ever. Any information would be fantastic.
If money is tight, you might consider trying VirtualBox - it's apparently free. I haven't used it myself, but I've heard good things about it, and there are at least a couple Mac users leveraging it.
rob is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 21st, 2010, 08:11 PM
I figured C++ as a likely suspect for the language; I just didn't want to make the assumption. Glad to hear that things are going as well as can be expected.

Edit: I went looking for VirualBox, just out of curiosity. It is freely available open source software. You can get it here.

Last edited by FifthWanderer; October 22nd, 2010 at 06:40 AM.
FifthWanderer is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Caliber42

Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
If money is tight, you might consider trying VirtualBox - it's apparently free. I haven't used it myself, but I've heard good things about it, and there are at least a couple Mac users leveraging it.
It's not so much as an issue of money being tight as it is that quite frankly, Hero Lab is the ONLY program I use that I need an emulator for. I'll look into VirtualBox though and see how it goes.

But don't let this dissuade you from doing a Mac OS version!

-Cal

PS: On the other hand, I have about two laptops here and a desktop, but my license is set to the Mac and one laptop that my father borrowed (indefinitely). I'll have to read up on the licensing agreement more...
Caliber42 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber42 View Post
PS: On the other hand, I have about two laptops here and a desktop, but my license is set to the Mac and one laptop that my father borrowed (indefinitely). I'll have to read up on the licensing agreement more...
I assume your father isn't using Hero Lab right now on that laptop. If that's correct, just move the license on that laptop to a different computer you have access to. You can do this by simply activating that license number on a different computer. If it's been at least 4 months since you last activated the license on the other laptop, you can do this automatically. If it's been less than 4 months, you'll be sent to a form where you can request to have the waiting period waived. Nancy (support) usually gets those requests sorted out in 24 hours.
rob is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Caliber42

Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I assume your father isn't using Hero Lab right now on that laptop. If that's correct, just move the license on that laptop to a different computer you have access to. You can do this by simply activating that license number on a different computer. If it's been at least 4 months since you last activated the license on the other laptop, you can do this automatically. If it's been less than 4 months, you'll be sent to a form where you can request to have the waiting period waived. Nancy (support) usually gets those requests sorted out in 24 hours.
Heh, I've had Hero Lab for a month or so, not sure exactly. I had the license activated on my Mac the day I got it. The kicker is, I had no idea I was getting the Macbook and had just downloaded and purchased Hero Lab a few days before. I'll see about explaining my situation and sending an email off to the aforementioned Nancy.

Fantastic program by the way. Kudos to your team. I love the customizability of it.

-Cal
Caliber42 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Unseelie

Old January 7th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I'm a Software QA engineer at Apple, actually, and I'd like to offer my assistance once the Mac port reaches a point where people can start looking at it.
Unseelie is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Unseelie

Old January 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
Running Windows programs is quite possible on a Mac (via a virtual machine such as VMWare or Parallels) or perhaps an emulator.

But no matter how many times that is said, there's no substitute in my opinion for native applications, and for that reason I'm very excited about a 'pure' Mac version.
If it's an intel Mac, you don't even need Virtualization/Emulation... just cross boot into Windows using Boot Camp.
Unseelie is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
quixoticparadigm

Old January 30th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Any update on how this is going? I'm very interested in HL being ported to Mac!
quixoticparadigm is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Darkholme

Old January 30th, 2011, 01:05 PM
thats alot of code. I hope its all neatly divided into classes and well commented.
Darkholme is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Robbie

Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseelie View Post
If it's an intel Mac, you don't even need Virtualization/Emulation... just cross boot into Windows using Boot Camp.
Of course, but what a drag! Booting a computer to just use one program and then booting the machine again to get back into the native OS. Not for me I'm afraid. (FYI I've used VMWare and currently use Parallels. )

I want to dump Windows as a 2nd OS. Period!
Robbie is offline   #20 Reply With Quote