Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

mirtos

Old September 16th, 2014, 12:46 PM
But all kidding aside, it helps so much for buffs. And even so, you dont need one per person, you can just have the DM keep track, but it does speed up the level if people know what is what.

But if not everyone has it (not everyone at my group has it), just have the DM do it, and let them keep track of the hits or misses. Little slower, but still better.
mirtos is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old September 16th, 2014, 01:19 PM
That's why I have it set up on my PC at home, and multiple remotes into it. Everyone I know has an android or iOS device that can connect to a windows RDP session.
Fuzzy is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old September 16th, 2014, 01:59 PM
But back to the original poster, by doing that, you would need a different license for each person. Because even though its one computer (a server, whether its windows server, or just a copy of windows that allows multiple RDP), its clearly multiple people doing different things at once.

At least thats my take on Rob's and Liz's responses.
mirtos is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old September 16th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I doubt it. There is nothing against the licence on running 2 copies on the same PC at the same time. Your friend could use a second mouse and control the second copy on the same monitor the same as a GM using two copies at once. Or for that matter, 6 monitors, 6 mice. 6 Remote Desktops. All the same thing.

License is tied to the Device.

Now, with that said. I would only suggest it as a "selling point" given your players may decide to purchase their own copies later.

It is worth it, and they will migrate over time. Once a few players can <click click click> "Ok I do..." <click click click> "...and save is a 27", other players will get jealous at the time savings. Our last hold out was constantly "bah, I can make a character in seconds with a book, I don't need it" but the other players were constantly pulling out better feats, not missing bonus +'s from abilities, were NOT forgetting about their cool abilities, that he finally saw the wisdom in it. He was like, "where are you getting that +2?" and we're like "I dunno, HL does it for me...fine...<hover> +2 bonus is from...."

Besides, you CAN share the dead trees, so, everyone buy HL + Addon + PDF for themselves, then chip in and buy 1 copy of the dead tree for the game room. Problem solved?

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release

Last edited by Jamz; September 16th, 2014 at 04:03 PM.
Jamz is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old September 16th, 2014, 06:06 PM
License is tied to the device, but I'm fairly sure that Rob somewhere stated that its meant for one user.

Otherwise, you could easily set up a server, buy all the data packages, and start going past the license policy. In fact there are pretty cheap amazon cloud servers out there (I use one to deal with firewall issues when i want to do some of my things that my work firewall blocks).

EDIT: On the first page of this thread, this is confirmed by Liz.

Last edited by mirtos; September 16th, 2014 at 06:14 PM.
mirtos is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I understand that may be the intent of the licensing, but that is not currently the case in the license agreement. It is tied to the device, and use on that device in multiple instances is not restricted in the license. I'm not sure my method is very likely to be used by many, as according to Rob, where most people play, there is no internet available, but it works well for my use.
Fuzzy is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Admittedly, the only reason i installed it on my server was to allow me to use Hero Lab on my android phone/tablet, as no-one in my group owns any apple products. Once I realized how well it works, though, I set up the multiple accounts and some others tried it and liked it. I now don't even run it on my primary desktop (which still holds my primary license), and choose to instead remote into my server's hero lab account to use. This way I only have to keep one installation updated. My .user files are all maintained on that installation. I am able to work on characters easily from work on a break, able to work on .user files, and able to check things for helping others on the forum, no matter where I am. I can be half-way done with a certain activity started at work, disconnect, reconnect later at lunch from my tablet, to the same session, and continue, then when I get home, reconnect to the server (which is headless) from my desktop, and the session is exactly how it was left.

Last edited by Fuzzy; September 17th, 2014 at 11:14 AM.
Fuzzy is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 17th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Admittedly, the only reason i installed it on my server was to allow me to use Hero Lab on my android phone/tablet, as no-one in my group owns any apple products. Once I realized how well it works, though, I set up the multiple accounts and some others tried it and liked it. I now don't even run it on my primary desktop (which still holds my primary license), and choose to instead remote into my server's hero lab account to use. This way I only have to keep one installation updated. My .user files are all maintained on that installation. I am able to work on characters easily from work on a break, able to work on .user files, and able to check things for helping others on the forum, no matter where I am. I can be half-way done with a certain activity started at work, disconnect, reconnect later at lunch from my tablet, to the same session, and continue, then when I get home, reconnect to the server (which is headless) from my desktop, and the session is exactly how it was left.
I use my OneDrive this way, all of my work is done this way, I have my OneDrive offline sync'd to my primary desktop, my Power lappy, my media PC and my Surface 3 Pro. So no matter where, when or how, all of my files are available and up to date. this includes all of my Paizo PDFs as well.

One location to Rule them all!
Exmortis is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old September 17th, 2014, 04:30 PM
That doesn't keep a session though, which for me is the big advantage..
Fuzzy is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 18th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
That doesn't keep a session though, which for me is the big advantage..
Not really sure how, since it has this little awesome feature called "save", I always continue from exactly where i left off, no matter what system I work from, of course assuming they have Net access, but this is a restriction both share.
Exmortis is offline   #40 Reply With Quote