Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

thekwp

Old October 1st, 2019, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
"Lone Wolf is undergoing several major changes and I wanted to personally take the time to update everyone on what those changes are and how they will impact our users.
Thank you for taking the time to write this both to your clients, and to us on the forums here. I know this cannot have been easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
To start with, effective immediately, we are officially suspending work on Realm Works while we focus on improving our other products. Realm Works is “my baby”, and there’s a great sadness in making this decision, but the reality is that, despite our efforts, Realm Works is failing as a commercial venture with what limited resources we can put into it. There are quite a few things we could do to improve it, but that would require a significant investment of time and resources, neither of which we currently have.
I cannot say I am surprised by this. Saddened, disappointed, and frustrated, but not surprised.

Realm Works fills a need I definitely have as a Game Master. My campaigns tend to run 3-5 years; having a source that lets me track my world and what is know, etc as well as relationship, connections, plots, etc. This is something I have worked on for myself with wikis and other tools. I had very high hopes for Realm Works.

I bought and found it... close enough to what I need to find real value in it, and had hopes it could evolve into what I really wanted. In the years since, with the minimal development that has happened, I began to suspect the evolution would not happen. I have worked a few decades in IT now; I recognized the patterns.

I will continue to use Realm Works for my current campaign for the next couple of years. I am not sure I will use it for my next one, even though I am ready to start to doing development work on that now. I want to use a tool that will get to where I need, and will support the interactions with players that I think will really add depth to the game at the table.

Having said that, I would be very interested in hear what options the community comes up with to share. I would support an open source effort. I will even watch carefully to see what features creep into HeroLabs -- I don't use that product (primarily because I do not like the output formats) but many of my friends do.

I will continue to (mostly) lurk here. I will continue to use it for several years to come. I have hopes to see something rise phoenix like from the ashes here, but I don't any high expectations. I will also be very, very interested to hear what replacement options the people here discover and pursue as well.

What I think I will miss most (next to the support from the forums for making things work) is not seeing an adventure that was written to make real use of Realm Works -- not just an import of an existing adventure, but one written with the tool in mind and its features.

Thank you Rob for a serious effort to give the Game Master the tool sets to run an in depth and vibrant campaign. I am very glad your heath has improved. I hope Lone Wolf survives the changes you have to go through now and prospers in the future. I'll be around here, with my irregular lurking habits, and hope to read about improved progress in the future.
thekwp is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 1st, 2019, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
And this was true with all content from the RW Content Catalog they released for us to purchase if we wanted to do so. We knew that going in that this was the case. That doesn't mean that you still can't use the data. As you are actually USING it even if it is full or partially doing so. It is in use.
Which concedes the point that the statement I called out was not a true statement. So we're in agreement.
EightBitz is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
Konig-Wolf

Old October 1st, 2019, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekwp View Post
I will also be very, very interested to hear what replacement options the people here discover and pursue as well.
So I echo all your sentiments. As replacements for Realm Works, I would recommend looking at World Anvil, or checking out the Kickstarter for GM Binder now.

I really hope Lone Wolf comes back to Realm Works, but given the way things seem to be at this time, I'm not holding my breath. It's time to focus on looking for a new tool for this purpose.
Konig-Wolf is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old October 1st, 2019, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig-Wolf View Post
So I echo all your sentiments. As replacements for Realm Works, I would recommend looking at World Anvil, or checking out the Kickstarter for GM Binder now.

I really hope Lone Wolf comes back to Realm Works, but given the way things seem to be at this time, I'm not holding my breath. It's time to focus on looking for a new tool for this purpose.
Unless it's changed since I last looked World Anvil only does manual linking. As far as I'm concerned that's a deal breaker.

BM binder? I still have no idea what that is supposed to be.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old October 1st, 2019, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig-Wolf View Post

I wouldn't look at a kickstarter... The market for GM products is not that big.
Toblakai is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old October 1st, 2019, 01:59 PM
YARPS looks promising, but updates seem far and few between, looking at their facebook page. So if and when it releases... unknown to me.

*Edit*
BTW I'm looking for other alternatives too. Sadly so, as I love RW. But I will continue to use it until something with at least the same features comes around. And preferably an RW-import possibility ;-)
And who knows, maybe HLO will be a huge success and carry RW one day. I only used it briefly for the PF2 playtest, but it worked nicely.

Last edited by Merion; October 1st, 2019 at 02:10 PM.
Merion is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old October 1st, 2019, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Which concedes the point that the statement I called out was not a true statement. So we're in agreement.
Except that you are STILL using the product you bought from LWD. While you think it was a money grab, I disagree. If you bought something and weren't unable to use it now because of RW being shelved.. then I would be in agreement with you. But that is simply not the case. While yes, you can't export their product to share that particular data with someone else.. they never intended for you to be able to do so. So not sure where you are going with that... but you can manipulate, remove, change and do what ever you want to the product you purchased with the online content that they gave to use to be able to do so.

So, if you think I am in agreement with you.. this is what I agree with.
Nikmal is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 1st, 2019, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
Except that you are STILL using the product you bought from LWD. While you think it was a money grab, I disagree. If you bought something and weren't unable to use it now because of RW being shelved.. then I would be in agreement with you. But that is simply not the case. While yes, you can't export their product to share that particular data with someone else.. they never intended for you to be able to do so. So not sure where you are going with that... but you can manipulate, remove, change and do what ever you want to the product you purchased with the online content that they gave to use to be able to do so.

So, if you think I am in agreement with you.. this is what I agree with.
Where did I say it was a money grab? I called out one comment. When you first questioned me on it, I specified the one comment I was calling out. I pointed out how it was a false statement. And I explicitly said that that was all I was saying.

You're criticizing a statement I never made. And that's fine, except you're quoting me while doing it, which indicates you think I'm the one who made it. I'm not.

The statement I DID make, and clarified, explicitly, was one you conceded.
EightBitz is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old October 1st, 2019, 02:53 PM
Guys, this is dragging out for pages - can't you just agree to disagree?
Merion is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 1st, 2019, 02:53 PM
Nikmal and EightBitz, could you take the conversation/argument/disagreement to PMs please. I don't think you're adding anything to the general theme of this thread.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #60 Reply With Quote