Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

DeathSheep

Old February 4th, 2022, 07:13 AM
Okay, this is one that has my brain hurting trying to figure out if it's possible. I have a class that can choose from a list of abilities. Each sub-class expands that list with abilities unique to that sub-class. So, for example, if I am third level, I can choose two abilities from the class table (before I chose my sub-class), and two more from either the class table or the additional sub-class table. This continues for the rest of the character's leveling experience. I imagine there are some complicated solutions, but I'm curious what might be the easiest way to accomplish this?
DeathSheep is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old February 4th, 2022, 01:43 PM
I'd use a Configurable to do this. You can manipulate the fields that govern how many abilities you can pick from it. Being able to pick from different lists will be a bit of complicated logic and math, but is definitely doable. There are fields for how many selections you have available in a certain table and how many you have taken, which gives you a lot to work with in terms of playing one off another.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DeathSheep

Old February 5th, 2022, 08:04 PM
I suspected you might have an idea about how to accomplish this! I may have to get some help from you figuring out how to do it though. Right now I have a table of powers to pick from for the main class. More options are added depending on your sub-class, but I can't figure that part out. So I can do all of this in a single configurable? How do I do that?
DeathSheep is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old February 5th, 2022, 08:22 PM
I'm trying to think of a decent example for you to pull from. My most extreme Configurable work was for the Artificer Infusions, but that might overwhelm you (there's so much there that it gives me a headache looking at it again).

Maybe try the Tasha's variants Configurable. Look at how it manipulates itself when you grab certain abilities, opening up different lists depending on your initial selections. You can put eval scripts into your subclasses that can target your configurable, and manipulate the fields within that configurable that govern how many selections you're allowed from each table.

If you wanna start easier, look at how the Battle Master subclass opens up a new table on the Fighter tab and grants X number of selections from that new table. You can do the same thing, just with the similar fields on a Configurable.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
DeathSheep

Old February 6th, 2022, 12:56 PM
Thanks! I'll start there and post again when I get stuck
DeathSheep is offline   #5 Reply With Quote