Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

signalgk

Old January 12th, 2015, 09:29 AM
New realm works ref - I'm slowly coming to terms with the depth of the program but as I'm running sci-fi and superhero realms 99% of the drop down options aren't of any benefit to me. I've worked out how to add new categories and races but can't see how I delete the obvious fantasy classifications ingrained in the drop down tables... Anyone able to direct me to a solution?

Thanks
signalgk is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 12th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Those are Tags and Tag Domains. On the Manage tab of the Ribbon, pick Tags. Here you can create new Domains and/or edit the existing ones to better fit your world/genre.

I personally hide the existing Domains and make new ones, but you can edit the Global ones if you prefer. Their recommendation when doing this is to hide the Tags you don't want and add new ones, rather than deleting or reusing Tags.

In the future they may have presets that better fit worlds/genres/systems that aren't Pathfinder/Golarion.

Last edited by Parody; January 12th, 2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: A bit clearer.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 12th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Because it really is important, I want to echo Parody. Create a new tag list rather than delete "official" tags. This ensures ongoing compatibility. The only time to change an "official" tag should be to translate it into its equivalent (i.e., English into Swedish).

You can hide unused/unneeded tag lists which is very helpful.
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
signalgk

Old January 12th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Thank you very helpful - is there a way to change the spellings of existing classifications or if I have very pedantic players (who are also British) would I have to retype the classes again would you know?
signalgk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old January 12th, 2015, 02:20 PM
As one of my Realms is also a superhero realm, let me echo AEIOU echoing Parody - hide the existing ones and create your own.

Your sanity will thank you.
enrious is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
signalgk

Old January 13th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Have taken everyone's advice but wanted to access a new series of tags I have designed (such as a list of superhero archetypes) in individual characters but can't seem to work out how you add them say within endeavours - when I try and insert I end up with a text snippet or import an individual tag but not as a drop down. Any advice..?
signalgk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old January 13th, 2015, 12:19 PM
I have created my own categories and tags as well, really the way to go.

To add a tag, choose to add a snippet to your category, then change the snippet type to "tag" in "bahaviour" menu, then go to the Tag Configuration window beside that and change the second drop down menu "Default Domain Selection" to the Tag menu you have created or want "example Challenge Level" which will give you a drop down menu of 1 to 20.

Currently I am revamping all of my Keyed locations to my new custom category "Keyed Locations"

I have designed it as follows:

section 1 Overview with Tag snippets (Location Type, Encounter Type, Challenge Level), a two numeric value fields (Experience Value, Treasure Value), and a Text field for "Important GM Info"

Section 2 Player Information with a text field for "Read to Players"
Section 2.1 Points of Interest with a text snippet "Chest, item, object descriptions"
These two sections represent everything a player can interact with and have revealed to them. Often I can have a dozen or more snippets in Section 2.1.

Section 3 Encounter Information that begins with a Hero Lab Portfolio and Simple Picture snippet. Any required encounter info goes here.

Section 4 Additional GM Information with three text snippets (Room Information, NPC Story, Arbitary Details) As well I can add any extra snippets needed to ensure all info for GM is here.

Section 4.1 Treasure and Valuables with a text snippet "List of True Values" All true information on treasure goes here, from magic info, to gold value to any other relavant info to an items value.

Thats it, when done I use the Quck Content option to remove all unused sections and snippets leaving me with a clean, simple and very organized topic per Keyed Location.

I will be creating custom categories for others later, for now I am revamping my work to use this.

Tip of the hat to LWD for allowing such customization!!

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV

Last edited by Exmortis; January 13th, 2015 at 12:21 PM.
Exmortis is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
signalgk

Old January 14th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Nope, its' likely the unfamiliarity with the Program's terminology but can't seem to access it. Here's a test character I'm using to test out the program.

Screenshot above shows having inserted a tag snippet as per Exmortis advice, I then I assume I double click the text box highlighted in blue which shows up all of the tab options but I can't seem to be able to associate it with the superhero archetypes list as a drop-down list (though I can display any of the table contents using that method)... Help, where am I going wrong..?

Last edited by signalgk; January 14th, 2015 at 08:57 AM.
signalgk is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 14th, 2015, 09:34 AM
I think you've created the Snippet but did not edit the Category to add a new Snippet?

You know how we said up above not to edit the originals? Here's an exception but see the last paragraph in my response before proceeding....

From memory so.... Go to Manage, edit the Individual Category. RW will complain about it being protected. Go ahead and unprotect it. You can now ADD a new Snippet to that Category without any problem. However I still advise to not delete any of the original Snippets. If there are Snippets you don't need you can hide them from here now that the Category is no longer protected.

The protection on Categories is a warning that what you are doing may create conflicts with imports/exports. My understanding is that as long as you add you are fine.

If unprotecting a Category makes you uneasy or you want to preserve all the original stuff, you can create a new Category identical to the original but with your material added. I think you may be able to copy an existing Category. And I'm not in front of RW right now but you may be able to hide an existing Category without unprotecting it.
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 14th, 2015, 12:09 PM
To expand on this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalgk View Post
... I then I assume I double click the text box highlighted in blue which shows up all of the tab options but I can't seem to be able to associate it with the superhero archetypes list as a drop-down list (though I can display any of the table contents using that method)... Help, where am I going wrong..?
When you add a Tags Snippet to a Topic/Article you have less options than when you add a type definition to a Category. You can't restrict it to a single Tag, for example. It will still restrict itself to a single Domain, but instead of specifying everything beforehand the first Tag you select will determine the Domain.

Before picking a Tag. Note that all Domains are available.
Before Selection.png

After picking a Tag. The other Domains are now disabled.
After Selection.png

If you undo your selection, you'll be able to pick a Tag in a different Domain. (It'll go back to looking like the first picture.)

If you want a Tags Snippet that doesn't allow multiple Tags, you have to add a Type to the Category. Here's a Tags Snippet Type definition with "Restrict Domain" checked and "Allow multiple tags" unchecked.
A Tag Snippet Definition.png

And how it looks in a Topic/Article when pulled up:
And How It Appears.png

While you should be able to add new things to the Global Categories without problems, I create my own Categories instead. You can start from the existing ones by duplicating them and hiding the originals. (You can do that without removing Protection.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Parody; January 14th, 2015 at 12:15 PM.
Parody is offline   #10 Reply With Quote