Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Marisakis

Old September 1st, 2021, 03:39 AM
Hi there. Getting this plugin to download/install seems impossible. I've seen two other threads
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=53937
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55432
These suggest that I need to 'go to the downloaded file'. However, the 'go to file' button in the Latest Updates screen sends me to www.wolflair.com instead, and I can't find the file anywhere in the Hero Lab system folder (D:\Program Files (x86)\Hero Lab) or in AppData
Marisakis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old September 7th, 2021, 11:33 PM
Are you having trouble downloading the file? Or have you got the file, and are having trouble installing?
Those links aren't saying "go to the file/update" - they are saying run the update, close Herolab, finish installing; OR close HL, locate the file on your PC and run it from there. The file should be in C:/Program Data/Hero Lab/download

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Andrew

Old December 21st, 2021, 02:33 PM
I am having the same problem and ufortunatly Windows 10 does not seem to have a C/Program Data folder at all. The closest I can find is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hero Lab
and that folder has nothing resembling an executable for installing the pdf drivers

The problem of course is windows which for reasons known only to itseld is hiding the folder with the download in it. However Herolabs can find the folder if you go to the tools menu , Explore folders it can open the folder for you. Then it takes 10 seconds to run the program, so thanks Windows for wasting a couple more hours of my life

Last edited by Andrew; December 21st, 2021 at 02:40 PM. Reason: further information
Andrew is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old December 21st, 2021, 04:07 PM
For future users who find this topic: from inside Hero Lab Classic go to Tools > Explore Folders > Program Data Folder and then open the downloads folder in that window and you should see the pdfcanvas installer. After that you can close HLC and install the PDF update.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
darthgator

Old March 21st, 2022, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
For future users who find this topic: from inside Hero Lab Classic go to Tools > Explore Folders > Program Data Folder and then open the downloads folder in that window and you should see the pdfcanvas installer. After that you can close HLC and install the PDF update.
I installed the plugin from the downloads folder and I still get the same error from HLC:

"To create PDF files, you must download the PDF plugin for Hero Lab. This is available as a free download from the updates mechanism."

Not sure what the problem is, but HLC clearly isn't recognizing the plugin once it's installed.
darthgator is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 21st, 2022, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthgator View Post
I installed the plugin from the downloads folder and I still get the same error from HLC:

"To create PDF files, you must download the PDF plugin for Hero Lab. This is available as a free download from the updates mechanism."

Not sure what the problem is, but HLC clearly isn't recognizing the plugin once it's installed.
Huh. I don't have a solution, but are you able to use the Print option to Print to PDF?
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old March 24th, 2022, 07:03 AM
The solution is to turn off HL then install the plugin, then turn it on again when it's installed.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old March 24th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthgator View Post

Just out of curiosity, does the error occur in both 32-bit and 64-bit HLC?

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Nogard666

Send a message via Yahoo to Nogard666

Old February 23rd, 2024, 06:57 AM
I am having this problem as well while trying to make PDF files of Shadowrun characters. I downloaded the plugin and installed it without HLC running. I am on the x64 version.
Nogard666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old February 24th, 2024, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogard666 View Post
I am having this problem as well while trying to make PDF files of Shadowrun characters. I downloaded the plugin and installed it without HLC running. I am on the x64 version.
Exactly what problem are you having? Is there an error message? Does HL tell you that you haven't installed the plugin, or does it just not create a PDF?
There was a problem previously where the plugin was installed it for one windows version and not the other. If this is the case you can try to find the files in the x32 directory and copy it to the x64. From PDFcanvas directory, 4 files - pdfcanvas64.dll/lib, pdflib64.dll/lib.

Also, did you BUY the Shadowrun package? If you are running Shadowrun in Demo, you can't save or print.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #10 Reply With Quote