Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Dervish

Old November 7th, 2020, 09:03 PM
I have been away for a while. I had hoped to come back to more well rounded tool only to come back to nothing. Disappointing to say the least
Dervish is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 9th, 2020, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
I have been away for a while. I had hoped to come back to more well rounded tool only to come back to nothing. Disappointing to say the least
Well we did have our Bi-Yearly visit from Rob, but we have been put back on the bottom shelf again. So yeah, nothing new.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV

Last edited by Exmortis; November 9th, 2020 at 03:41 AM. Reason: typo
Exmortis is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
nightpanda2810

Old November 9th, 2020, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Well we did have our Bi-Yearly visit from Rob, but we have been put back on the bottom shelf again. So yeah, nothing new.
Really disappointing.

Realmworks Template Management
nightpanda2810 is offline   #63 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old November 21st, 2020, 11:19 AM
Xmas soon. Let's hope for so news at the end of the year.

In case no new post shows up in the meantime: Everyone stay in good health - and let's hope all of your wishes become true.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #64 Reply With Quote
SenahBirdR

Old December 11th, 2020, 01:16 PM
Something that occurred to me recently. The importance of online organization has definitely increased for the current year. It likely won't stay quite as big in the future, but this is something to stay. Increasingly RPG companies that are not doing great support for the digital side of the company feel dated. Realm Works unfortunately could have had a really good year if it was still a supported program being developed.

I bought into Foundry during their Black Friday sale and so far I am loving it. Realm Works would be a perfect accompaniment to Foundry (or other VTTs) if an export/import tool was made for the programs. I would love to import certain journal entries from RW into Foundry. I would love to export text blocks of my Foundry elements directly into RW. Also, if the RW subscription actually came with the capability to host Foundry sessions in addition to hosting RW material that might push me over. Of course, what I still really want to make a subscription worthwhile is for players to be able to setup a free account that has web access to RW worlds.

More and more I'm finding myself using Realm Works less. As online games becomes more common I'm already doing a lot of text entry into a VTT. I need to get into the habit of cut and pasting between the programs since RW organizes much more nicely than the VTT programs and keeps me better prepared. Competitors like World Anvil haven't pulled me away, but seeing capability of other campaign organizers working with VTTs is tempting. It is just a natural fit to have these various programs able to communicate and transfer information.

I still hold out hope Lone Wolf changes their mind and decides to restart work on Realm Works. I think more companies would be interested in selling on the content market these days.
SenahBirdR is offline   #65 Reply With Quote
ShawnM

Old December 22nd, 2020, 07:59 PM
What's most disappointing for me is that there's a ton of great content ideas and supportive forum members for developers to draw from. How long have we waited for a calendar feature that works? How long do we have to wait for LW to answer questions or post a development?
I let my online subscription lapse last year in the spring and I had my laptop die this past summer.
Now onto my new laptop, I'm hoping to port the data with no issues, but the EA-level CRM that LW uses has me very worried.

In any case, what are people using for alternatives? I'm looking at World Anvil as a possible solution. That's not to say I couldn't start using Realm Works if they ever bothered to support their product for their customers, but I'm very unhappy that I spent $80 Canadian plus the online fees to get little more than what I get from One Note or Google Docs for relatively free.

In all seriousness though, what have people converted to? I'm more than open to hearing ideas.
ShawnM is offline   #66 Reply With Quote
ShawnM

Old December 22nd, 2020, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenahBirdR View Post
Something that occurred to me recently. The importance of online organization has definitely increased for the current year. It likely won't stay quite as big in the future, but this is something to stay. Increasingly RPG companies that are not doing great support for the digital side of the company feel dated. Realm Works unfortunately could have had a really good year if it was still a supported program being developed.

I bought into Foundry during their Black Friday sale and so far I am loving it. Realm Works would be a perfect accompaniment to Foundry (or other VTTs) if an export/import tool was made for the programs. I would love to import certain journal entries from RW into Foundry. I would love to export text blocks of my Foundry elements directly into RW. Also, if the RW subscription actually came with the capability to host Foundry sessions in addition to hosting RW material that might push me over. Of course, what I still really want to make a subscription worthwhile is for players to be able to setup a free account that has web access to RW worlds.

More and more I'm finding myself using Realm Works less. As online games becomes more common I'm already doing a lot of text entry into a VTT. I need to get into the habit of cut and pasting between the programs since RW organizes much more nicely than the VTT programs and keeps me better prepared. Competitors like World Anvil haven't pulled me away, but seeing capability of other campaign organizers working with VTTs is tempting. It is just a natural fit to have these various programs able to communicate and transfer information.

I still hold out hope Lone Wolf changes their mind and decides to restart work on Realm Works. I think more companies would be interested in selling on the content market these days.
I wholeheartedly agree. I AM considering World Anvil, simply because it looks like I can more easily exchange data. It's not a perfect tool, but I see customer updates. That's more than LW has done since shortly after I spent my $80 in early 2018. I keep hearing excuses of "it'll take a developer dedicating their time to ..." Well do that! Pay someone to do it. Take time from whatever else your doing and do that. Get an investor if you need to. Customers paid money and the model as it is is very monthly fee dependent thanks to CRM that is wholly unncessary.
ShawnM is offline   #67 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 26th, 2020, 11:08 PM
I am using Foundry and World Anvil. The two integrate so that I can easily port WA content in Foundry. For my 5e game, I'm currently running Rappan Athuk, a massive mega-dungeon, and rather than copying and recreating everything I entered into RW into WA, I'm just using the PDF and focusing on prepping the maps in Foundry.

With my Mage the Ascension 20th Anniversary game, I am starting a homebrew world from scratch and so am finally making an effort to get the most out of World Anvil. It is taking some time to get used to. I miss the auto-linking of Realmworks, but the at-type-ahead (type @ and start typing to link other content) works well enough.

My work requires me to spend long stints out of country, I can't install gaming software on my work computer, and I really don't want to have to lug around two laptops, so having everything online is really nice. Even if RealmWorks development restarted, I'm not sure I would go back to it.

I don't play Pathfinder or Starfinder, so I've not had a use for HeroLab. For my 5e games, we use D&D Beyond with a third-party plug-in to Foundry that imports character sheets, monsters, spells, and equipment from DDB to Foundry.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #68 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old December 27th, 2020, 06:00 AM
I use Roll 20 to run my virtual games and just don't use a RW type tool anymore. If I was to go back to it, I would probably ho with WA, but my players just don't use the tool enough to merit the fee, so I either organize directly in Roll 20 or use Google Suite. Google makes sharing easy, and is web based. For my in-person game, which is 5e, I use DDB for characters and rules references, Roll 20 to display maps and pictures, and Google. DDB implemented the buy-as-you-go method very well.
meek75 is offline   #69 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old December 27th, 2020, 08:49 AM
I decided to take the plunge and went with World Anvil. Got a year with the thirty percent off sale. I think having that much of an investment means I will use it and spend the time to learn it. I currently use a (free) wiki and am also wondering if this will replace that at some point. I like to post session notes and plots, often in a form of prose, and to help remind myself. I don't know if I saw RW doing that or not originally but I was hoping the player versions would be more real time than what we got.

I'm maybe five hours into it and it's okay. I can make my own calendar. Heck, I can make several. I can put historical events on several timelines. This is not my full review of WA by any means.
  • I go to put in an event and when I finish, instead of going back to the screen to enter a new event, I'm editing that event. It's not bad, just me getting used to how it works and not what I would prefer. While I use event here, that happens with everything. I want to enter a bunch of placeholders for various organizations but there are extra clicks to get out of editing the new one and back to adding one.
  • Entering a new event and assigning it to a timeline doesn't mean it will show up nicely in the timeline. I can't figure out why but it creates orphan events.
  • As the owner/GM, I can't easily see or figure out how to see a subscriber/player point of view. That's been annoying.
  • I can't seem to enter PC information but have to invite them to do it? At least for me, my players might not so I want to be able to do that and maybe assign them

Having said that, this is a very shallow review. There looks to be potential for my wants, which is one timeline but holding multiple campaigns. It does appear that it can find some links or show me where things could link up. I will keep going and reporting. Further, there is a lot here, and maybe I shouldn't have reported, but hoping this will also nudge me to do more with WA and see how it works.

Here it is for any who want to see it or ask questions. Definitely a WIP. I'm trying to put events into this timeline for this version of FR. That means two previous campaigns, and the two current (lockdown) campaigns I have going. It does allow me to have one campaign use PF1 rules and another use 5E rules. They have character sheets for that but I haven't found a way to do anything with that yet.

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/forgotten-realms-evildmguy

Thanks!

edg
evildmguy is offline   #70 Reply With Quote