Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Bloodwolf

Old October 7th, 2020, 08:21 PM
I take that back I got it to work.
Bloodwolf is offline   #1021 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old October 8th, 2020, 05:43 PM
Just an FYI slaGoWind and slaWallIce both need have User Tags of Ability Focus Selection added to them because they both have a saving throw. Thus they need to be able to selected for that so that the DC can be increased. Both of these are already existing so I can't do it as I create it.
Bloodwolf is offline   #1022 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old October 9th, 2020, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwolf View Post
Just an FYI slaGoWind and slaWallIce both need have User Tags of Ability Focus Selection added to them because they both have a saving throw. Thus they need to be able to selected for that so that the DC can be increased. Both of these are already existing so I can't do it as I create it.
Hadn't thought of that. I suppose all the sla's with a saving throw will need that. Thanks for the head's up.
Sendric is offline   #1023 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old October 9th, 2020, 09:25 AM
No problem. I noticed that a couple of the ones that I converted from old dragon spell like abilities to sla had it so I have started checking as I make stuff.

This next part is something that I hope can be done but I'm not sure. And I hope that I describe it good enough.

So we are creating sla's, which are just basic spell or spell-like abilities, and then creating SplAb's to get them ready for us by specific monsters. Which are then bootstrapped to the monster.

Well when we create the sla's we can mark for it to display a spell information in the pop up box when we hover over the "?" in the Spell tab of the character and we can put a description in the sla that will display above the spell info. What I'm wondering is if there is any way to script that description into the SplAb's instead? That way the sla's are truly generic and the SplAb's, which are monster specific anyway can control it for each monster.

Did I explain that well enough?
Bloodwolf is offline   #1024 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old October 9th, 2020, 12:56 PM
Quote:
No problem. I noticed that a couple of the ones that I converted from old dragon spell like abilities to sla had it so I have started checking as I make stuff.

This next part is something that I hope can be done but I'm not sure. And I hope that I describe it good enough.

So we are creating sla's, which are just basic spell or spell-like abilities, and then creating SplAb's to get them ready for us by specific monsters. Which are then bootstrapped to the monster.

Well when we create the sla's we can mark for it to display a spell information in the pop up box when we hover over the "?" in the Spell tab of the character and we can put a description in the sla that will display above the spell info. What I'm wondering is if there is any way to script that description into the SplAb's instead? That way the sla's are truly generic and the SplAb's, which are monster specific anyway can control it for each monster.

Did I explain that well enough?
I'm not sure I'm entirely understanding, but I'll see if I can answer. The sla's don't have or need a description of their own. They are tagged to provide the spell's description they are copying. This is and should be true for all sla specials.

The SplAb's, which I think you are referring to the specials that bootstrap the sla's, can have a description or not. Technically, they don't even need to be visible in the portfolio, but you can provide a description that provides the user info on what spell-like abilities are available when.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what descriptions are really needed. You can, of course, tag the SplAb's to provide spell descriptions, but that could become a very long description if you're talking about multiple spells (some creatures can have 10 or more spell-like abilities) so that doesn't seem practical.

If you *do* need to provide a description on the sla, but don't want it to be for all creatures, you can use the CustDesc field when it's bootstrapped. There is a large limit in the Value for this field, so it can pretty much be as long as you want it to be. There's also a way to provide line breaks (/n I think) should you need them since the field does need to be one continuous string (spaces ok).

Perhaps I'm missing something. If so, please provide an example so my slow brain can figure it out.
Sendric is offline   #1025 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old October 9th, 2020, 02:50 PM
You're right that the vast majority of them do not need a description but a few do.

For example:
Black and Copper (if my memory serves me) dragons have Darkness and Endure Elements respectively. They work exactly like the spell except the radius equals 10 feet per their age category. So it will need a custom description describing that.

And:
Black and White dragons have special spell like abilities that are either modified spells or modified multiple spells.

Black dragons have a Charm Reptiles spell like ability that works like Charm Person but only on reptiles.

White dragons have a Freezing Fog spell like ability that works like Fog Cloud and Grease.

Both will need custom descriptions to explain them. The spells that they memic can be tagged but the modifications have to be explained.

There might be more but I haven't polished the descriptions yet.
Bloodwolf is offline   #1026 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old October 9th, 2020, 10:01 PM
So far I have all of the MM dragons except silver and gold and there are 8 that need extra descriptions.

Another option that I'm currently looking into is creating spells for the unique spell-like abilities without any mention of dragons. Then tie those descriptions to the sla file. I'm not marking for them to be on any spell list so they will kind of be hidden, but available for custom monster creation.

But there will still be a few that already have spells to tie to but need the extra descriptions for changes like radius.
Bloodwolf is offline   #1027 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old October 10th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Quote:
You're right that the vast majority of them do not need a description but a few do.

For example:
Black and Copper (if my memory serves me) dragons have Darkness and Endure Elements respectively. They work exactly like the spell except the radius equals 10 feet per their age category. So it will need a custom description describing that.

And:
Black and White dragons have special spell like abilities that are either modified spells or modified multiple spells.

Black dragons have a Charm Reptiles spell like ability that works like Charm Person but only on reptiles.

White dragons have a Freezing Fog spell like ability that works like Fog Cloud and Grease.

Both will need custom descriptions to explain them. The spells that they memic can be tagged but the modifications have to be explained.

There might be more but I haven't polished the descriptions yet.
Freezing Fog can be it's own separate spell-like ability that uses the descriptions of those two spells in addition to it's own description. That would be my preference for special circumstances such as these.

SLA's that alter the radius can be given custom descriptions or have their livename modified to indicate the radius the spell can affect.

Spells that mimic other spells but only target specific types of creatures can likewise have their livename modified with a custom description.

Quote:
So far I have all of the MM dragons except silver and gold and there are 8 that need extra descriptions.
Awesome!

Quote:
Another option that I'm currently looking into is creating spells for the unique spell-like abilities without any mention of dragons. Then tie those descriptions to the sla file. I'm not marking for them to be on any spell list so they will kind of be hidden, but available for custom monster creation.

But there will still be a few that already have spells to tie to but need the extra descriptions for changes like radius.
I'd prefer to avoid adding new spells if we can help it. I think the options I outlined above is more than enough to cover our needs. If you need help implementing any of them let me know.
Sendric is offline   #1028 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old October 10th, 2020, 12:43 PM
After I do the rest of the dragons currently in HL I'll make a list of which ones need to be modified or made.
Bloodwolf is offline   #1029 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old October 11th, 2020, 04:42 PM
Ok this is a list of all the sla's that either do not have an exact spell to reference or need a modification of a spell. I added the dragon type at the end.

Charm Reptiles – works as a mass charm spell (I tied to Mass Charm Monster) that affects only reptilian animals and can communicate with any charmed reptiles as through casting a Speak With Animals. Equivalent of a 1st-level spell. (Black Dragon)

Corrupt Water – can stagnate 10 cubic feet of water, making it become still, foul, and unable to support animal life. The ability spoils liquids containing water. Magic items (such as potions) and items in a creature’s possession must succeed on a Will save (DC equal to that of the dragon’s frightful presence) or become fouled. This ability is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell. Its range is equal to that of the dragon’s frightful presence. (Black Dragon)

Create/Destroy Water – works like the Create Water spell, except that the dragon can decide to destroy water instead of creating it, which automatically spoils unattended liquids containing water. Magic items (such as potions) and items in a creature’s possession must succeed on a Will save (DC equal to that of the dragon’s frightful presence) or be ruined. This ability is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell. (Blue Dragon)

Darkness – can cast Darkness with a radius of 10 ft per age category. (Black Dragon)

Detect Gems – divination effect similar to a Detect Magic spell, except that it finds only gems. The dragon can scan a 60-degree arc each round: By concentrating for 1 round it knows if there are any gems within the arc; 2 rounds of concentration reveal the exact number of gems; and 3 rounds reveal their exact location, type, and value. This ability is the equivalent of a 2nd-level spell. (Gold Dragon)

Endure Elements – can cast Endure Elements (with a radius of 10ft. x dragon’s age category). (Brass Dragon)

Freezing Fog – similar to a Solid Fog spell but also causes a rime of slippery ice to form on any surface the fog touches, creating the effect of a Grease spell. The dragon is immune to the Grease effect because of its icewalking ability. This ability is the equivalent of a 5th-level spell. (White Dragon)

Locate Object – can use this ability as the spell of the same name, once per day per age category. (Red Dragon)

Luck Bonus – can touch a gem, usually on embedded in the dragon’s hide, and enspell it to bring good luck. As long as the dragon carries the gem, it and every good creature in a 10-foot radius per age category of the dragon receives a +1 luck bonus on all saving throws and similar rolls, as for Stone Of Good Luck (see the item description, page 267 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide). If the dragon gives an enspelled gem to another creature, only that bearer gets the bonus. The effect lasts 1d3 hours plus 3 hours per age category of the dragon but ends if the gem is destroyed. This ability is the equivalent of a 2nd-level spell. (Gold Dragon)

Summon Djinni – works like a Summon Monster spell, except that it summons one djinni. This ability is the equivalent of a 7th-level spell. (Brass Dragon)
Bloodwolf is offline   #1030 Reply With Quote