Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old March 2nd, 2016, 08:36 PM
I have a character with two dogs. These are custom dogs. I was trying to add them as companions or mounts, but these do not seem to come with stats, etc.

It seems that what I need to do is create them as new races and add them as allies to the characters POR file. Basically, I would take the Mastiff and make some modifications.

Can someone explain the meaning and proper use in HL of:

1. Companions, vs.
2. Mounts, vs.
3. Hirelings

If my character has a war horse, what the benefit of adding it as a mount rather than an additional "character" to the POR file?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old March 2nd, 2016, 08:48 PM
Companions are something which is added as a class feature, like the druid can get.
Mounts are subordinate characters associated with a certain hero, and hirelings are much the same (the difference being that the latter are intelligent and paid usually).

Adding it as a mount rather than a separate character is not really mechanically different. I'd say the association of ownership is the only difference as far as 5e is concerned. In pathfinder, things are a bit more complex, because we have some eval scripts which transfer from master to minion.

Last edited by Aaron; March 2nd, 2016 at 08:50 PM.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to play around with these options some more. In this instance, however, I still decided to add the dogs as NPC allies in the same POR. The reason for this is that I use some pet-action rules from an ENWorld article. By creating them as an NPC it was easier for me to add the feats to them. Maybe I can do this with hirelings/mounts, but, as I said, I need to play around with these options some more to get more comfortable with them. Adding as NPCs to the characters POR is working well for me for now.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote