Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Syrkres

Old December 18th, 2019, 04:29 PM
So Initially I am looking to create a list of NPCs.
Now I know I can create individual NPC and then when I put there name in a text box it will link to them, but rather than a text box, wondering if there is a "list" object where they will appear in a list format?

thanks
EDIT: I did just see/find an element which has a table in it, though not sure how to create one. I do see I can paste from WORD into RW which will maintain the table, but can I create a table from scratch?

Last edited by Syrkres; December 18th, 2019 at 04:54 PM.
Syrkres is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old December 18th, 2019, 05:09 PM
If you are asking how to create a table, there are table tools when you go into edit mode. Afterwards, when table is selected you have Table Tools for further layout work. Screenshots attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annotation 2019-12-19 040701.jpg (108.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Annotation 2019-12-19 040813.jpg (71.9 KB, 11 views)

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Syrkres

Old December 18th, 2019, 05:19 PM
Very cool, thanks
I hadn't seen them because I never went to format tab when editing.
Syrkres is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old December 18th, 2019, 06:28 PM
How so? The interface switches automatically in almost all cases when you start to edit text snippet.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Syrkres

Old December 18th, 2019, 06:46 PM
Not sure, I haven't done a lot of editing, but when I clicked edit sniptet, it did not switch. Had to manually select it.
Syrkres is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
BubbaDave

Old December 22nd, 2019, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrkres View Post
Now I know I can create individual NPC and then when I put there name in a text box it will link to them, but rather than a text box, wondering if there is a "list" object where they will appear in a list format?

thanks
EDIT: I did just see/find an element which has a table in it, though not sure how to create one. I do see I can paste from WORD into RW which will maintain the table, but can I create a table from scratch?
I tend to build my tables in Excel, then copy-paste into the snippet I need it.
BubbaDave is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 22nd, 2019, 04:09 PM
Quote:

thanks
It may seem convenient to have a topic that lists NPC's but it won't really add much in RW. You'll be far better off creating NPC topics for people and then organizing them into cast lists, a topic meant as a container of people. Further organization can be achieved by establishing relationships between NPC's and other elements of the world.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Syrkres

Old December 26th, 2019, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
You'll be far better off creating NPC topics for people and then organizing them into cast lists, a topic meant as a container of people. Further organization can be achieved by establishing relationships between NPC's and other elements of the world.
Yes I believe I will be creating the individual NPCs as their own objects, but then I also want a list of NPCs, for example maybe who visits a particular bar or members of a guild, in a nice easy to read table rather than in paragraph format.
Syrkres is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 26th, 2019, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Yes I believe I will be creating the individual NPCs as their own objects, but then I also want a list of NPCs, for example maybe who visits a particular bar or members of a guild, in a nice easy to read table rather than in paragraph format.
The incoming/outgoing links shown on the right hand side of a topic can be used to know who frequents a bar if the bar is mentioned in a snippet of the NPCs topic.

Were you thinking that the table would be in a central topic, rather than the topic specific to each location? What would be in each column of the table?

If you want a list local to each location, then a simple bullet point list of NPCs who might frequent the bar could also be used (in the NPC's topic, you would then see an outgoing link on the right column that relates to the bar's location).

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 26th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
The incoming/outgoing links shown on the right hand side of a topic can be used to know who frequents a bar if the bar is mentioned in a snippet of the NPCs topic.
Relationships also create a very easy, two way, list of people who visit a bar or are member of the guard etc. It saves having to create some text to basically say what the relationship says.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote