Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Invincible01

Old June 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Detect (Ranged) is costing 1 'rank' where it should cost 2.

I was looking through the rules and didn't see anything that said Detect required a Move Action or that making it cost 2 made it a Free Action and thereby a "Sense".
Invincible01 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Invincible01 wrote:
>
>
> Detect (Ranged) is costing 1 'rank' where it should cost 2.
>
> I was looking through the rules and didn't see anything that said Detect
> required a Move Action or that making it cost 2 made it a Free Action
> and thereby a "Sense".

Thanks - I've removed Detect (Ranged). Taking 2 ranks of Detect now
makes it ranged.

--
Colen McAlister, colen@wolflair.com
Chief Engineer, Lone Wolf Development
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
JDRook
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Send a message via AIM to JDRook Send a message via Yahoo to JDRook Send a message via Skype™ to JDRook

Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
I noticed this problem as well, and it seems to be caused by inconsistent definition in Core and UP rules

Core has base Detect requiring a Move action and having no range, with +1 rank to make it a free action Sense, and +1 to make it ranged.

UP has base Detect already operate as a Sense, and gives the same +1 range option.

Right now the Detect description in HL uses the Core description, but doesn't mention the range option, although when you add the rank it adds (ranged) to the output, as per your correction at Invincible01's suggestion.

Since you can already add Ranged to any sense separately for the same cost, maybe making Detect cost 1-2 (detect vs sense) for Core Rules and only cost 1 for UP rules would be the simplest solution, with the description reflecting this.
JDRook is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
You're right, this isn't handled correctly. I'll resolve this in the next update.

Thanks!
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
d20Maverick

Old April 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I just recently registered this program (with the M&M ruleset and its "expansion") because I'm involved in several Mutants and Masterminds games, and I have to say that it's a fantastic piece of software!

But (and there always is one, it seems ), I've also noticed that Radio is treated as a 2-rank sense in the registered program, even though the free version treats it properly as a 1-rank Sense (which both the Core Rulebook and Unlimited Power list it as).
d20Maverick is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Woodclaw

Old April 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM
In the errata Radio was listed at 2pp cost.
Woodclaw is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
d20Maverick

Old April 30th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Really? Is the errata posted on Green Ronin's site somewhere? I have bought many of the M&M PDFs, thinking they would have the latest errata already incorporated.

Thanks for the response, by the way. I wonder what else I've been spending the wrong number of power points on?
d20Maverick is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old April 30th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Ah, the lack of errata updates is a bit of a sore spot for some of us. I suspect that they are understaffed (everyone in the RPG community is under a lot of financial strain right now) and can't afford to devote someone to update the PDF when they're not likely to make more money on it (it would largely benefit those who have already bought it). There have been suggestions on the Atomic Think Tank that maybe they could pick out some volunteers, give them the editable PDF file, and have them make the updates gratis for the love of the game, much like us volunteer data file authors here.

Official errata can be found under the Gimmick's Gadgets section of the website.

As for Ultimate Power, it did receive an errata update when released in Pocket version, but that's only out on paper. This one was an odd case because most of the errata was not officially released on the website, but was instead based off of postings on the forum. In particular, when I was checking against the list of known flaws posted by Elric, I noted that they actually used the exact text of his corrections in almost all of the cases.
Duggan is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old April 30th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Oh, and speaking of Elric, check out the errata thread on the forum. He's got errata on many of the extant books, although of course, these aren't official answers, just his noting the error and making educated guesses in many cases.
Duggan is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
d20Maverick

Old April 30th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Excellent, thank you much! I was hesitant about plunking down $50 for Hero Lab and the M&M data files, but between the awesome program and the extremely helpful (and prompt) forum responses, I can see that it will be money well-spent. Many thanks for the links.
d20Maverick is offline   #10 Reply With Quote