Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old June 4th, 2015, 09:42 AM
If I didn't already have a sig, I would use that. But then again I can shrink the font down and add both...lol.

The Aeon Timeline software is amazing. It does everything I expect Realm Works to be able to do except integration into Realm Works and the related linking. If the devs were having trouble with coding I would push them in that direction.

The only issue I have with the Aeon software is that it costs $40 for either PC or MAC! To expensive for me right now but I really really need some good timeline software.

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old June 4th, 2015, 12:16 PM
@Madmaxneo

Just for your info:

The calendar system - according to the info so far - has been largely done and should be able to do some wonderful things. It is not quite where LW wants it to be and apparently especially the user interface is wanting.

So LW has actually come pretty far with the whole calendar thing.
Right now it is taking a backseat in order to get some other important aspects of the RW package done.

But trust me, we are a few, that are eagerly awaiting the calendar system.

(Disclaimer: This is my understanding of the calendar situation)

PS: And if you already knew this, sorry for stating the obvious...

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; June 4th, 2015 at 12:21 PM.
Vargr is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old June 4th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
The only issue I have with the Aeon software is that it costs $40 for either PC or MAC! To expensive for me right now but I really really need some good timeline software.
I agree that it's a bit costly. It does allow you to try it free for I think 20 days and it's days you use it not 20 calendar days. During that time you could put your hat in front of the GM screen for donations.
ruhar is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old June 4th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Isn't it rather ironic that the recent uproar demanded that the interface be improved. But when RW holds back a feature because the interface is definitely in need of work, they get raked over the coals for not just releasing it and updating the interface down the road? I find it amusing anyways.
AEIOU is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old June 4th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
@Madmaxneo

Just for your info:

The calendar system - according to the info so far - has been largely done and should be able to do some wonderful things. It is not quite where LW wants it to be and apparently especially the user interface is wanting.

So LW has actually come pretty far with the whole calendar thing.
Right now it is taking a backseat in order to get some other important aspects of the RW package done.

But trust me, we are a few, that are eagerly awaiting the calendar system.

(Disclaimer: This is my understanding of the calendar situation)

PS: And if you already knew this, sorry for stating the obvious...
No I didn't know any of it. I had not heard anything about how far they are with it. I did see a real good demo of the calendar at last years Gencon and I hope to see more of what the calendar can do this year. The last I knew was that just about everything had taken a back seat for the content market. Which brings me to.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Isn't it rather ironic that the recent uproar demanded that the interface be improved. But when RW holds back a feature because the interface is definitely in need of work, they get raked over the coals for not just releasing it and updating the interface down the road? I find it amusing anyways.
What recent uproar over the interface?

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Madmaxneo is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old June 4th, 2015, 06:44 PM
I tried Aeon but didn't end up buying it because it doesn't support multiple custom calendars. I know, I know, how *practical* are multiple custom calendars? Do I expect my players to be doing calendrical calculations? No.

For me, it is for building flavor text, so I can use the appropriate calendar when putting dates into documents, on monuments, etc.

What I most want is the ability to build a time and be able to toggle it among multiple calendar formats.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old June 4th, 2015, 07:30 PM
I hear you. In the two worlds I would primarily use there are multiple calendars, in Shadow World I believe there are 4 or more.... But I haven't used Shadow World in a real long time. In Mithra (HARP) there are two calendars though so far they always only reference one of them so Aeon is usable. I just wish I could link it to RW and use the links interface. Oh well I will of course wait for the RW calendar.

Madmaxneo is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old June 4th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
ruhar is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old June 5th, 2015, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
It is ever thus!

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
ArgoForg

Old June 5th, 2015, 09:30 PM
I mucked around a little with the free trial of Aeon, and while I was fairly impressed with the features-- there are a lot of bells and whistles, and a lot of customizability; I like the fact that you can change eras, month names, days and the like enough that I really hope to see that sort of thing in RW when calendars are finally ready to roll.

But I wasn't quite impressed enough to suddenly consider dropping $40 on a piece of software that I will most likely have to hand-import, piece by piece, into RW to fit with the rest of my world. Or it at least didn't catch me the way, say, Scrivener did, where after a day I was all "Take My Money!!!"

So I'm still sort of bated-breath waiting for some custom calendar goodness from the LW folks, eventually.

Darker Age Press - Writer and Developer
Realm Works Projects: World of Phantasie (Castles & Crusades)
RPG and Art Software Used: Realm Works, Hero Lab, Campaign Cartographer 3+, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, Evernote, Scrivener, OneNote, Photoshop, Poser Pro, Cinema 4D, Vue 8 Complete.
ArgoForg is offline   #30 Reply With Quote