Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

flyteach

Old March 16th, 2020, 07:19 AM
The number of lines of code is irrelevant. Unless you have some proof that cross platform apps are small. And, if the only lone viable solution is to remain connected to the internet 24/7, then that is a sad state of affairs.
flyteach is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 16th, 2020, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
Now you mentioned things that Hero Lab Online won't be able to handle from the GMG... Do you think Hero Lab Classic could handle those issues? My dream would be for PF2 and SF to come to Classic, and integrate with Online. Say, you create a character in Classic, but can open it in Online and make changes, etc. Any chance of that?
There is nothing I'm aware of that HLC can possibly do in terms of features that HLO cannot, with the exception of some items that are already planned to be added to HLO. However, the reverse absolutely true. There are many things that the connectedness of HLO allows us to do that simply aren't realistic within HLC. The Campaign Theater features we just introduced are merely the tip of the iceberg for that.

As for bringing games from HLO to HLC, it's theoretically possible. However, it would require a major reallocation of resources away from HLO to accomplish that. If we could afford a larger team, then we'd potentially be able to do something like that, but I don't see it as realistic in the near term, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
And how does the future look with integrating Online with a VTT, like Fantasy Grounds? That is a feature I sorely miss.
Now that the rewrite of everything is behind us, this is something that could potentially again be possible. It would require a chunk of time to instrument it all, but it's doable on our end. I haven't spoken with Doug in quite some time, and FG would also have to allocate the necessary resources on their end to import what we export. So it's a big question mark right now, and I don't envision having the bandwidth to actively pursue something like that until at least next month. That said, if you want to explore FG's interest from a consumer standpoint, feel free to do so.
rob is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 16th, 2020, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyteach View Post
The number of lines of code is irrelevant. Unless you have some proof that cross platform apps are small. And, if the only lone viable solution is to remain connected to the internet 24/7, then that is a sad state of affairs.
The number of lines of code is fundamental to the situation. It's the Hero Lab ENGINE. Without the engine, there is no product. So either we need to rewrite that engine on a new platform or we need a platform model that can accommodate the existing engine. Given the size and complexity of the engine, and given that it performs extremely well in its current state, that pretty much dictates we adopt a platform where we can leverage the engine we've already got.

I said absolutely nothing about cross-platform apps being small. You apparently just made that up. Please don't ascribe comments to me that I never said. There are massive apps written to be cross-platform. Those apps were written using toolkits other than C++ and would likely be where we focused if we were going to rewrite the engine. But we're not doing that, since it would require a huge amount of time and serve no useful purpose.

The internet is the future. 24/7 connectedness is the norm and becoming more ubiquitous every month. Is it everywhere yet? Nope. But that connectedness is a cornerstone of role-playing games. So we've embraced that. Given situations like the current coronavirus outbreak, that connectedness is even more critical, since many are reluctant to game in person for the time being. I'm sorry you feel our adoption of the internet is a sad state of affairs, but it's the path we've chosen to go down.
rob is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
alientude

Old March 16th, 2020, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
There is nothing I'm aware of that HLC can possibly do in terms of features that HLO cannot, with the exception of some items that are already planned to be added to HLO.
The ability to create and modify characters without Internet.
alientude is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Shadowfoot

Old March 16th, 2020, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alientude View Post
The ability to create and modify characters without Internet.
This was a smart-alec answer.
HLC required the internet to download the application and the data files.

🎲 Pathfinder 2e GM

Need spawns invention, but imagination gives rise to need. — Logic of Design
Shadowfoot is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
alientude

Old March 16th, 2020, 04:33 PM
It requires a one-time connection to the Internet to set it up initially. After that, you can use it 100% offline. That's a huge feature that HLO can never support. Call it a smart-alec answer all you want, it's the simple truth and it shouldn't be glossed over as if HLC is inherently inferior in all ways.
alientude is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 16th, 2020, 04:45 PM
Whoa! Calm down, folks!

That's a fair statement that HLC can operate offline and HLO cannot. I didn't consider that when I was thinking about features in my post above.

I wasn't intentionally glossing over it. I just didn't think of it. And it's not that HLC is somehow "inferior". It's just that the connectedness of HLO allows us to do so much that we could not do before. And I'm excited about those prospects and being able to bring some really cool features to HLO.
rob is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old March 16th, 2020, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post

The internet is the future. 24/7 connectedness is the norm and becoming more ubiquitous every month. Is it everywhere yet? Nope.
Give SpaceX starlink another year or two and high speed connectedness will be everywhere.
Toblakai is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old March 17th, 2020, 06:12 AM
With all that you said, Rob, I would hope that Offline Use would be a feature for use for the platform, if only as a character sheet reader type stasis. There are areas and places where connectivity is not available or is charged for or sketchy. (Gen Con for example) There needs to be some way to access characters and have them available without an online sign in or a good print out (which has improved but needs more info and better formatting) of the character for one to use.
thaX is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 17th, 2020, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaX View Post
With all that you said, Rob, I would hope that Offline Use would be a feature for use for the platform, if only as a character sheet reader type stasis.
This is definitely part of the roadmap. And it's a pretty high priority item on that roadmap. The critical caveat is that it will be as a VIEWER and not allow modifications that need to go through the server (which is everything now, but we'd like to make things like HP and the like able to be adjusted while offline).
rob is offline   #30 Reply With Quote