Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition

Notices

Fox Lee

Old March 16th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Hi folks,

I was trying to fix an issue with the Hybrid Avenger (it fails to grant the cut-down version of Oath of Enmity that it ought to give) and ran into an odd quirk. In a fresh user file in the editor, I copied the Hybrid Avenger class and set the new version to replace the existing one. Without changing anything yet, I activated the new version of the class in HeroLab and found that when the class is given to a character, I get the error:

Invalid tag expression specified for 'findchild'
Location: 'evalrule' script for Component 'Class' (eval rule '#2') near line 15

I tried to check this out in the data files, but line 15 of the file thing_validate.dat is an empty line, so clearly it's deeper than that.

The error is clearly tied to the replacement class - it's fine as soon as I change classes, remove the user file and reload, remove the replacement class from the user file and reload, and so forth.

Any advice on what might be causing this? Thanks!

Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
Invincible Ink - Original indie tabletop games on demand
The Square Fireball - Where it's 4th Edition Forever
Skies of Escarnum - Inclusive anime-flavoured 4e campaign world
HeroLab 4e patch contributor

Last edited by Fox Lee; March 16th, 2013 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Whups no hybrid psionics question, that's a separate issue.
Fox Lee is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old March 16th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Lee View Post
Hi folks,

I was trying to fix an issue with the Hybrid Avenger (it fails to grant the cut-down version of Oath of Enmity that it ought to give) and ran into an odd quirk. In a fresh user file in the editor, I copied the Hybrid Avenger class and set the new version to replace the existing one. Without changing anything yet, I activated the new version of the class in HeroLab and found that when the class is given to a character, I get the error:

Invalid tag expression specified for 'findchild'
Location: 'evalrule' script for Component 'Class' (eval rule '#2') near line 15

I tried to check this out in the data files, but line 15 of the file thing_validate.dat is an empty line, so clearly it's deeper than that.

The error is clearly tied to the replacement class - it's fine as soon as I change classes, remove the user file and reload, remove the replacement class from the user file and reload, and so forth.

Any advice on what might be causing this? Thanks!
If you send me the user file I can have a look at it (send to tirionareonwe at gmail.com).

Hmmm, I wonder, if you select "CountsAs" Hybrid Avenger, does this help ? (though if you replace, this should not actually be needed).

BTW: If you have any other (working) bugfixes, feel free to upload to http://hl4e.cryptoknight.org ;-)

Best regards,
MagicSN
MagicSN is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Fox Lee

Old March 16th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSN View Post
If you send me the user file I can have a look at it (send to tirionareonwe at gmail.com).

Hmmm, I wonder, if you select "CountsAs" Hybrid Avenger, does this help ? (though if you replace, this should not actually be needed).

BTW: If you have any other (working) bugfixes, feel free to upload to http://hl4e.cryptoknight.org ;-)
Thanks Magic SN I'll send you a copy shortly. I'm pretty sure I tried making it count as itself, but that may have been when I was meddling with the hybrid psion instead. Guess I'd best go check that first!

...Hmmm, nope, that gives me a message like "Contains duplicates of tag 'clsAvengHy", which is a bit interesting 'cus that's the ID for the official one, not mine. Is it trying to copy the Avenger equivalency tag from the Hybrid Avenger?

So here's a thing: now if I change the equivalency back and try to test it, I get a "thing to replace is already replaced by another thing and cannot be superceded" message, and I notice that in the "counts as" tag list there is a separate entry for my version and the original version. Is that as it should be? I would have thought that only the replacing version should exist. Have I maybe corrupted one of my data files or something? ^^;

(All that aside, the file is on its way to you. I just thought I would mention the new stuff too.)

Anyway, I certainly will upload any bugfixes I have working, once I'm sure that they are. I have occasionally found myself sondering whether or not fixing a couple of spelling mistakes in a theme is worth updating a file... probably most people are not as pedantic as me Currently I'm trying to fix up the "Noble Adept" theme, but I fear it may be a lost cause for me, due to the need to do weird power swaps (and because I can't for the life of me find the right way to refer to a character's power point total).

By the by, are you interested in homebrew stuff at all, on the forum? Or strictly conversions of legit stuff?

Thanks!

Fox Lee is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 17th, 2013, 05:59 AM
We've been trying to do legit stuff only... but I suppose I could create an area for homebrew stuff.

Working on Twilight 2000 4e HL System
cryptoknight is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Fox Lee

Old March 17th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoknight View Post
We've been trying to do legit stuff only... but I suppose I could create an area for homebrew stuff.
It's cool, I'll still be able to contribute a few things. Working on the Yakuza theme right now.

Fox Lee is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Fox Lee

Old March 18th, 2013, 04:37 AM
I still haven't figured this out, but it seems like maybe it has to do with other things not recognising it? Used in a hybrid build, it gives the validation message "must have at least one at-will power from each class" even when the build has one at-will power from each class.

Fox Lee is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 18th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Lee View Post
It's cool, I'll still be able to contribute a few things. Working on the Yakuza theme right now.

is there something wrong with the one I did?

http://hl4e.cryptoknight.org/index.p...=view;down=114

Working on Twilight 2000 4e HL System
cryptoknight is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Fox Lee

Old March 19th, 2013, 05:22 AM
At first it was just that I didn't realise it had already been done (I thought I had them all). But actually, as it turns out, I managed to solve the problem you were having with the level 10 feature, by drawing on multiclass feats and skill focus as examples.

Fox Lee is offline   #8 Reply With Quote