Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 31st, 2021, 07:06 AM
I find myself trying to cut out all of the Savage worlds bits to build a Twilight 2000 4e framework and having to hunt down bit after bit to remove all the corss referencing pieces and parts.

For instance, if I remove the "Sample" attribute, I wind up hunting down and removing dozens of references to it for skills and combat values.

I don't need most of that. I'd rather a VERY basic framework I could work up from rather than having to keep cutting parts out to get rid of things like power points, Resistances, etc.

Working on Twilight 2000 4e HL System
cryptoknight is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 31st, 2021, 07:24 AM
Doesn't the tutorial provide you with enough information to build a system from scratch?

The tutorial is what I used when I started work on an Ars Magica system.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Phrll

Old July 31st, 2021, 02:23 PM
When I started on a Tales from the Loop dataset, instead of starting with Savage Worlds, I used the Create New Game System option on the Develop menu. I think it gave me a much smaller and cleaner place to start.
Phrll is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old August 1st, 2021, 04:05 AM
It is more basic... but it's... still very full of weird mechanics I have to keep hunting down and purging... powerpoints, and a bunch of other things. It's ok, I think I've just about exorcised most of it by now.

cryptoknight is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old August 1st, 2021, 07:34 AM
{nods} Part of the problem is what to remove, but the other part is that a) it's supposed to serve as an example of things like how to link a bonus to a skill or how to display values on the panels/sheets and b) there's a lot of debate about what the "core" bits are. I know I had a fun time with Planet Mercenary, removing Attributes.
Duggan is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Phrll

Old August 1st, 2021, 01:07 PM
For the most part, I didn't remove attributes, skills, etc., I only removed "stock" things when I couldn't rename them to something I needed and then I just commented out small pieces until I got rid of something; if I got an error, I dug around the code until I figured out what else to remove or rename. If you aren't familiar with the Savage Worlds game mechanics, maybe look at another user dataset for a game you're more familiar with, I used TCArknight's Doctor Who dataset a lot as a reference. There's a lot to learn but keep at it, Mathias from LW and the folks here on the forums are awesome about answering questions.
Phrll is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old August 3rd, 2021, 07:31 AM
I think the most help I got was setting up a Git Repository on my local area network and using VSCode as opposed to Notepad++

Made cleaning up issues a lot easier, and if I got a clean compile that worked, I'd commit it... and if I didn't and I couldn't figure it out, it was nice to be able to revert. TW2K4E progresses, but it seems TCArknight is probably way further along than I am... so if he has a Git repo I can join... I might just go that path.

cryptoknight is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old August 4th, 2021, 09:06 AM
Yes, source control (particularly if you have the discipline to occasionally stop and take a snapshot when things get stable) is invaluable, as is an IDE with syntax highlighting and search capabilities. Now, all we need is the ability to search for references and go right to definitions...
Duggan is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old August 4th, 2021, 06:34 PM
Yes... I wish HL's engine was available as a plugin to VSCode... that would be nice... syntax checking etc...

cryptoknight is offline   #9 Reply With Quote