Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Farling

Old July 6th, 2023, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
Several people, myself included, hope someone will come along to buy the program and get it up and running again. But, as they say, hope springs eternal.
I think the cost of the development (and distribution) license for the underlying framework libraries would be prohibitive.

Also, web sites and other tools (e.g. Obsidian.md) have come along and taken most of the RW customers away.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old July 7th, 2023, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Also, web sites and other tools (e.g. Obsidian.md) have come along and taken most of the RW customers away.
I agree they've taken most of the customers away, but I don't think that Obsidian (which is what I've taken to using) is anywhere near as good as RW. You have to hammer it into being a decent tool for GMs with additions.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 7th, 2023, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
I agree they've taken most of the customers away, but I don't think that Obsidian (which is what I've taken to using) is anywhere near as good as RW. You have to hammer it into being a decent tool for GMs with additions.
Obsidian is better IMHO... much much better imho. It's much faster and vastly more flexible. The amount of time and effort I put into getting content into Realm Works... it was literally years... I have doubled that level of data entry in Obsidian in less than a year.

Looking back... I was constantly using Realm Works to try and get it to a point where I was ready to use Realm Works.

Where now in Obsidian I spend most of my time with absolutely no consideration for the data entry. It's done so I can focus on session prep.

If Realm Works bounced back with active development and active community engagement... I would be very unlikely to return.

There is a trick to Obsidian though... you need to control how deep you go down the rabbit hole. I have gone very deep (the nature of the making videos means I am always exploring new functionality) but I don't actually use most of it in my personal vault.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #33 Reply With Quote