Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Krothos

Old September 27th, 2019, 10:02 PM
Clean install of HeroLab 8.9 and PDFCanvas 1.8. Both installed successfully.

Running HeroLab64, unable to create PDFs of characters (File > Save PDF of Hero). Get an error indicating I will need to install the free PDF plug-in available.

Running HeroLab (32-bit version), successfully creates a PDF of the same character.

Suggestions?
Krothos is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
coyote6

Old September 27th, 2019, 10:37 PM
FWIW, I'm seeing the exact same thing.
coyote6 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 28th, 2019, 09:35 AM
It sounds like the installer only added itself to the 32-bit copy. Just to make sure, when you say both installed successfully, you mean you installed the Pdf Plugin after installing the 64-bit version (or re-installed it, if you had it installed on your 32-bit copy)?
Mathias is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old September 28th, 2019, 09:51 AM
These are the steps I took:

1. Uninstalled the old version of HL.
2. Downloaded and installed HL 8.9 to C:\Program Files.
3. Confirmed that HeroLab.exe and HeroLab64.exe are licensed and working.
4. Downloaded and installed PDFCanvas 1.8 using HL update interface.
5. Closed HL and successfully installed PDFCanvas to C:\Program Files.
6. Opened HeroLab.exe and saving to PDF works.
7. Opened HeroLab64.exe and saving to PDF produces the error saying I need to install the PDF plug-in.
Krothos is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 28th, 2019, 12:09 PM
The only other thing I can think of is to ask whether you were within the 32 bit or 64 bit version when you downloaded the installer - maybe that matters. If not, I'll flag this to support when I'm back at work on Monday, and maybe they've seen this sort of thing before and know what to do.

Question - how do you know you installed the pdfcanvas to c:\Program Files? I just tested the process, and the installer for the pdf plug in never mentions a file location as it's running - it just runs without needing to ask questions beyond confirming that it's allowed to run. Also, why uninstall HL before updating?
Mathias is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old September 28th, 2019, 03:18 PM
I just reinstalled the PDFCanvas plug-in again, making sure I was in HL 64 when I downloaded the file. Same message when saving a PDF of the character.

When I do a clean installation of pdfcanvas, it asks to confirm the destination folder. It will not ask for the folder when I reinstall over ("on top of") when it's already installed.

Thank you for your assistance. Hopefully your support will have something.
Krothos is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 28th, 2019, 05:22 PM
In the future, I highly recommend against uninstalling HL between versions - I'm assuming that you already had the pdf plugin installed and working while using the beta of the 64 bit version, and on my own system, when I installed the final version of 8.9 to upgrade from the beta, the pdf generation just kept working, since I had already installed it.
Mathias is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 29th, 2019, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
In the future, I highly recommend against uninstalling HL between versions - I'm assuming that you already had the pdf plugin installed and working while using the beta of the 64 bit version, and on my own system, when I installed the final version of 8.9 to upgrade from the beta, the pdf generation just kept working, since I had already installed it.
I didn't uninstall HL.
The PDF plugin isn't working for me on the 64-bit.
I selected the PDF from the HL updates window, reinstalled it, and I still can't generate PDFs from HL.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
coyote6

Old September 29th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I didn't uninstall anything. I went to save a character to PDF and it told me I needed to install the PDCanvas. I downloaded and installed, then tried to save a PDF - still no joy.
coyote6 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old September 29th, 2019, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Thank you, I'll remember that. It'll definitely make my life easier without having reset my default configuration and download/install the community updates.

It appears to me that HL64 is its own application installed along side HL32, though it uses the same data files. I'm not sure whether it would have made a difference whether I had installed as an update.
Krothos is offline   #10 Reply With Quote