Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kruelaid

Old November 21st, 2008, 03:46 PM
Hi Colen,

Reinstalled pdf canvas (I've only ever had 1.3).

Updated everything.

Still have the same problem.

Can't make the pdfs.

KA
kruelaid is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM
At 04:46 PM 11/21/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Reinstalled pdf canvas (I've only ever had 1.3).

Updated everything.

Still have the same problem.

Can't make the pdfs.
Have you tried generating the PDF test page? When you install the PDF mechanism, it includes a small test program to verify that the basics are working correctly. You should find the PDF mechanism in the directory "crogram filespdfcanvas". In that directory, there is a program named "pdftest". Run that program and it should generate a simple one-page PDF file that has text in the center of the page. Make sure that the generated PDF file looks correct. If not, then there is a fundamental issue going on with the PDF mechanism itself. If the test page is good, then something is amiss with how HL is using the PDF mechanism. Please let us know which it is and we can continue trying to isolate the exact problem.
rob is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Leonal

Old November 19th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Hi, I have encountered the same error.

Trying the pdftest method creates a similar empty and unreadable 0-byte pdf-file.
Using Windows 7 RC 64bit.

My way around it is to use "print to pdf" instead with PDF creator.

edit: Sorry for the thread ressurection, but I found nothing newer on this issue.

Last edited by Leonal; November 19th, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Leonal is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Does this error still happen with the latest version of the PDF canvas library (v1.4)?

Also, which country do you live in? Do you use any language other than English on your computer? It's possible that something is triggering the PDF canvas library to try and load characters from some other language, which fails for some reason.
Colen is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Leonal

Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Good catch!

I'm in South Korea, and while my Windows is English, I have it set to use Korean for non-unicode programs. Changing to English made it able to save as PDF, and also fixed another thing I was wondering about where I was unable to type with Scandinavian letters (æ,ø,å) inside the program.

While it solves the problem, unfortunately it's not an option for me as I need the Korean for Korean programs, but since print to pdf works fine I'll go with that.

Thanks!
Leonal is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM
That sounds like the problem then. I don't know much about the Windows language settings - can you set one program to use a specific language? I.e., could you (for example) tell Hero Lab to work in English but keep everything else in Korean or whatever you need?

Thanks very much for letting me know how you fixed this - I'll add this to my to-do list to investigate.
Colen is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Leonal

Old November 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM
As far as I know it's not possible to change the "Language for non-Unicode programs" setting on an program basis, but a Google search showed that it can be on a user basis. Thus, by creating a new user account and setting that to use English for example, and then using fast user switching between the accounts one can utilize several languages for non-Unicode programs without restarting the computer each time.

edit: Seemed like I wrote too fast, the setting changes for all users so one would have to restart either way.

Last edited by Leonal; December 7th, 2009 at 04:50 AM.
Leonal is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Sarcastic

Old January 18th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I've got HL on a Windows 7 platform, and I've been getting one particular error with HL using any game package, so methinks its the main HL program. It tells me that all my printer drivers are not valid. The first time this happened I re-installed everything and re-booted...problem solved...til next week. I still get this error even after re-re-installing HL and re-booting. I can print from any other program except HL. If this is an issue being worked on for the next HL update...then I can hold on till then....I've got HL on a Win XP machine as well.

Thanks.
Sarcastic is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 18th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I don't think I've seen that problem before. Hero Lab only uses the standard windows printing stuff, so I don't see how it could be causing a problem like this. When you say "It tells me that all my printer drivers are not valid", what is the exact error message that is reported? And what exactly do you have to do to trigger the error? Knowing that will help us track down the problem.
Colen is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Sarcastic

Old January 21st, 2010, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
I don't think I've seen that problem before. Hero Lab only uses the standard windows printing stuff, so I don't see how it could be causing a problem like this. When you say "It tells me that all my printer drivers are not valid", what is the exact error message that is reported? And what exactly do you have to do to trigger the error? Knowing that will help us track down the problem.
When I "Print Active Hero", I get the following message.

An unrecognized error occurred while outputting your portfolio. Please check to make sure you are using the most up-to-date printer drivers available. If after updating your drivers you still receive this error message, contact Lone Wolf Development technical support at support@wolflair.com for assistance. Be sure to include your saved portfolio as an attachment to your email.

This occurs no matter which data set (M&M, Cortex or Pathfinder) I'm using and regardless of how complex or not the document is. For example, to generate this message right now, I told it to print an un-edited character...the basic Cortex character sheet..no mods, nothing. I have updated everything...printer drivers, HL and all my data sets.

This also seems to freeze the program, although I get no error messages to that effect...until I use the Task Manager to force-quit. Then I get this:

D:\HeroLab\HeroLab.exe
3.5 203
ACCESS VIOLATION
Address: 0x005813ea
Type: bad read

I hope this helps with diagnosis.

Thanks for your assistance and input.

-Steve

UPDATE 1/23/10:

Okay, I've found that if I tell it to print/save as PDF (even if I cancel without committing), and THEN try to print...it prints fine. However, if I try to go straight to printing...it craps out with the above error(s).

UPDATE 1/25/10:
Scratch the above update. That route only lasted two minutes. I have replaced the drivers three times now...still no luck.

Last edited by Sarcastic; January 25th, 2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Additional Information to add.
Sarcastic is offline   #20 Reply With Quote