Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Duncan Forsyth

Old March 6th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I appreciate this one might require a substantial bit of work.

So, both Weapon Specialization and Shield Specialization have a pre-requisite of the character being a 4th level fighter.

If, instead of levelling up one level at a time, I just dive in and start creating a 4th level dwarf fighter, I have 2 regular feats to spend and 3 fighter bonus feats and could get the rest of the pre-requisite feats for both Specializations. But I shouldn't be able to pick both Weapon Specialization and Shield Specialization because I only gain one feat at fourth level and not having levelled up any further couldn't legally have two feats that had a fourth level prerequisite.

Currently Hero Lab let's me pick both because it doesn't contain the concept that a feat gained at fourth level is different from a feat gained at second level.

The way Hero Lab copes with feats is nice and simple, but in an ideal world it would check whether there exists some order of taking the feats that is permissible.
Duncan Forsyth is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 6th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I'm afraid this is not something that could be added to Hero Lab without completely rebuilding the Pathfinder files in a way that would force users to complete an entire level before adding a new level. Feats aren't the only thing that has to be tracked like this - class abilities, too. And, the feats and class abilities can depend on each other.

If you're worried about this, you'll want to build high-level characters level-by-level.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Duncan Forsyth

Old March 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I had the same thought initially, but it occurred to me that much as hero lab lets the user take too many feats and then warns that it is an invalid selection, it could also let the user select feats that can't simultaneously fill the available feat slots and then warn that this is an invalid selection.
Duncan Forsyth is offline   #3 Reply With Quote