Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Sword_of_Spirit

Old October 31st, 2021, 09:51 PM
I've been thinking about what might be a better user experience for the un/revealed snippet state. I don't know if this is doable, so I'm just going on what the setup would look like in Foundry if it is.

Unrevealed Snippet:
Secret
(Secret) Normal snippet that hasn't been revealed

GM Snippet: Secret in square brackets. So it would be something like:
(Secret) [GM: GM's text]

GM Snippet attached to a normal snippet:
Follow the initial [GM: GM's text] with the normal snippet, and then on a line afterwards have another closing bracket.
(Secret) [GM: GM's text]
(Normal) Normal snippet text (also secret if unrevealed)
(Secret) ]

Untrue / Partially True statements: Same format as attached GM Snippet, so
(Secret) [Partially True]
(Normal) Normal snippet (also secret if unrevealed)
(Secret) ]

GM Snippet attached to untrue / partially true statement: Same as above but listing both, so
(Secret) [Partially True; GM: GM's text related to the partially true snippet ]
(Normal) Partially true text (also secret if unrevealed)
(Secret) ]

There's probably a more elegant way to do it than with bolding and square brackets, but it gets the job done.

In the Content Links sections at the end, I think having all of the revealed ones in a category (IN/OUT) be first, and the secret ones be in a paragraph afterwords would work pretty well.

The potential benefit of this is that it eliminates the need for the GM Notes module, keeps everything on one page, and provides a closer approximation to the RW view. It also allows for easily revealing snippets to players in Foundry, by simply removing the secret formatting, and they stay in the correct place in the body of the text.
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #131 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 1st, 2021, 10:27 AM
I've started experimenting with more CSS, so the snippets will follow the style more closely of what was seen in Realm Works. Although this is primarily for snippet styles, it could also apply to Foundry secret sections.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #132 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 3rd, 2021, 09:44 AM
Version 1.8 is available

This version has seen some significant reworking of how snippets are converted into journal entries/actors/etc.

Features:
No longer requires "GM Notes" module for handling revealed topics.
Revealed snippets are identified to the GM in displayed documents by a green bar on the left side.
Revealed smart images can have their corresponding scene automatically made navigable (and their vision/fog disabled).
For GMs, Relationships, Content Links and Governed Content will show REVEALED parts separately from the full list.
Lots of CSS have been added to more closely match the Snippet Style in RW.
Created Scenes, Actors and Tables are only made OBSERVABLE to players if the topic AND the snippet are both revealed.
Snippets with both GM notes and non-GM notes will be grouped together in a box for GMs (in a similar presentation to RW).

Known Bugs
Revealed state of map pins is ignored - only pins connected to non-revealed topics will be hidden on each scene.
All links are displayed in revealed snippets of revealed topics - even if the linked document is not revealed.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Last edited by Farling; November 3rd, 2021 at 12:06 PM.
Farling is offline   #133 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 4th, 2021, 03:06 AM
Version 1.9 is available

Only revealed map pins will be visible to players in scenes. For GMs, not-revealed pins will be displayed with a "blind" icon.

When displaying document text in journal entries and actors, any links whose destination is NOT visible to a player will have the link replaced by just the normal text - so a player will NOT see any link there.

Farling

Farling is offline   #134 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 5th, 2021, 04:08 AM
Version 1.10 is available

Don't include GM Directions in Notes that are displayed to players.
Ensure that links in snippet annotations are created properly.
Veracity (Truth) of snippets is displayed to GMs (dashed border for Partial Truth, solid border for Lie)

Farling

Last edited by Farling; November 5th, 2021 at 04:13 AM.
Farling is offline   #135 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old November 8th, 2021, 05:55 AM
That's impressive.

I noticed that on the content links, revealed links are duplicated by being listed both in the revealed and in the unrevealed sections.

I haven't discovered any way to turn off the revealed snippet indicators, or reveal other snippets, other than disabled the module, which reverts the RW-style green snippets back to secret text. I had some thoughts on that part.

As exciting as it is seeing the familiar green indicators, it's probably more important to be able to edit the imported entries so that they are fully functional. The text editing in Foundry is currently painfully limited, but an option to stick to formatting that can be duplicated might be a good idea.
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #136 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 8th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit View Post
As exciting as it is seeing the familiar green indicators, it's probably more important to be able to edit the imported entries so that they are fully functional. The text editing in Foundry is currently painfully limited, but an option to stick to formatting that can be duplicated might be a good idea.
It is intentional to show the revealed and not-revealed sections as separate entries - helps clarify easily what the players will see.

The next step is that in the text editor, there will be additional options in the sub-menu where you can currently select "secret" text. More options here will expose the different section types which the module uses.

I am also considering removing the explicit "revealed" section type that I'm using and merely put the bar against any sections which aren't marked as "secret".

Farling

Farling is offline   #137 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 9th, 2021, 03:12 AM
Version 1.11 is available

Removes a lot of the colourful styling that was added in 1.10.
Adds block styles to the text editor for RW Veracity (Lie/Partial Truth) and Style (Callout, Handout, Flavor, Read-Aloud) and GM Directions.

Farling

Farling is offline   #138 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old November 9th, 2021, 10:43 PM
Really liking the 1.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
It is intentional to show the revealed and not-revealed sections as separate entries - helps clarify easily what the players will see.
I definitely agree with them being separate like that.

What I was referring to is that the links from the player versions are also duplicated in the secret version in the GM view, so the GM sees those links twice--which can be confusing. For instance, in my Named Equipment "Illiksensqua'ar" entry, the 'Relationship: Eva' and 'Primordial Tongue' are listed twice. So to the GM it looks like there are 3 relationships and 3 outgoing content links at a glance, and you have to look them over to see that there are in fact only two each. Gets even messier with more links of course.

I'm not sure if it's within what you want to mess with, but I noticed that Partial Truth, Lie, and Block formatting aren't compatible with the popular Monk's Enhanced Journal (you can select them but they don't show up when viewed with that mod), which is kinda sad. The remaining RW formatting options seem to work normally.
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #139 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 10th, 2021, 01:30 AM
I just had a look at Monk's Enhanced Journal - it requires a different method of specifying that the formatting should be visible to GMs.

With 1.11 showing the old shaded background for SECRET sections, maybe the contents, links, etc. are easier to see which are visible to the player and which aren't.

Farling

Last edited by Farling; November 10th, 2021 at 02:09 AM.
Farling is offline   #140 Reply With Quote