Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gomo

Old October 8th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I can't find any info on the implementation of the logarithm on forum or wiki.
Is there any function in scripts for it?
Gomo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 8th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Hi Gomo,

Logarithms are a bit more advanced than most of the other mathematical functions we support in Hero Lab. Can you tell me more about how you'd use them if we implemented them in Hero Lab?

Thanks!
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Gomo

Old October 9th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Basically I will calculate a movement penalty based on load.
The equation is:
x = 5*log2LOAD - 5 - Strength.
Gomo is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 9th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomo View Post
Basically I will calculate a movement penalty based on load.
The equation is:
x = 5*log2LOAD - 5 - Strength.
Gomo,

Is there a table that shows loads and penalties or this really the equation for figuring out the load penalty? This seems a bit more complex than necessary for encumbrance. If you're doing base 2 arithmetic isn't there an easier way to do this? Hero Lab handles exponents, but when you get into logarithms you don't always get nice clean whole numbers out of the log function.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Gomo

Old October 9th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Yes, there will be a table, but for prototyping purposes it would be nice to have to get this calculated.
Also I am testing how it would behave with Strength gradually weaken during combat with Stamina drop.
The point is to simulate that if you are tired enough heavy armour start to play against you. Also any unnecessary load.
I admit it is complicated but in the end it should all get to just few values in real play.

I came up with idea of getting percentage of load and as I will usually get just five stages of this penalty, perhaps I would manage to do this with "if" statements.

Also clean numbers are not the case because I usually convert them to integers.
Gomo is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old October 10th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Converting to integers helps but it depends on how many decimals that hero lab is having to calculate. Usually when I handle attribute drops in a game, the attribute drops one whole point rather than using complex math. If you look at Dungeons & Dragons, the encumbrance systems are a bit abstract because too much realism tends to bog down a game session. I take it this is for a game system you are creating. Since you said there will be tables, what I would do is figure out the table values based on whatever math you want, and then have hero lab store the tables and lookup the values. This way the software isn't having to run long calculations (which can cause software to crash on lower RAM systems).

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Gomo

Old October 10th, 2014, 06:29 AM
I'll probably go with percentage solution.
Thanks
Gomo is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old October 10th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomo View Post
I'll probably go with percentage solution.
Thanks
That would work well. However you feel like handling it, I just would avoid doing Logarithms in a game system. That kind of math is cumbersome to deal with at a table. Having an actual table to work with that lists the penalties is easier. Hero Lab already has an accessible example of encumbrance tables in the 4e files you can look at for reference too, which is one reason I suggested tables.

RavenX is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Gomo

Old October 10th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Ok, I will check it out.
Thanks.
Gomo is offline   #9 Reply With Quote