Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Vampyre

Old September 15th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Hello guys,

I was browsing the forum (and wondering why my first post never appeared on the forums, even if it told me it was posted). I'm a returning old GM (I was playing back in the early 90's, and back to it since a few months).

I was truly looking into Realm Works, that's for sure (but this one was my first post). And now I'm starting to look into Hero Lab, which sounds a great tool for the characters. But I still have a few question, even after reading the website and the faq on top of this forum.

- I've understood that I can choose any game system when I buy Hero Lab. Additional rule sets are to be paid. But, what if my game system is not in the rule set ? Every game is a little bit different on its rules, and to be honest, besides knowing the game has an engine based on D6, or on D20, I have no idea on the game mechanics name. So, what if my game isn't listed ? I understood as well that there is an editor, to allow the creation of rule sets. But... Can I create a rule set for my game, even if I don't acquire another rule set possibility ? I don't quite get it...

Since I'm french, I bet there is no way the game I play will be one day available on Hero Lab (the game is french, and not translated into english). Can I create a ruleset freely for this one, while in the same time use let's say a Savage World character for another game ?

- Since my main buy will be for Realm Works, as soon as it get out, is there any compatibility between both ? Do they communicate, share information ? Or is that just two separate applications ?

Many thanks for your answers,

Vampyre
Vampyre is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 17th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Vampyre, sorry about your post not showing up. First-time posters are moderated until we can ensure that they aren't spammers. Since I approved you yesterday, you should not be moderated in the future.

If you are looking to use Hero Lab for game systems currently not supported by HL, then I would recommend looking into the Authoring Kit. The Authoring Kit is the tool that allows you to create new game systems. The Authoring Kit also comes with the Savage Worlds and 4E game systems. I do want to be clear that the Authoring Kit has a pretty steep learning curve. I would suggest you check out the Authoring Kit forum and check out the Authoring Kit wiki here to get an idea of how it works.

As for Hero Lab and Realm Works integration, I think ChrisRevocateur covered it pretty well on your other post. But if you have additional questions, let me know.
liz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old September 17th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Nah it's fine Liz, no worries. It's just that I saw only after my third post that it was requiring a moderator to check my posts.

And yes indeed, the other post as a very nice explanation. Thank you !
Vampyre is offline   #3 Reply With Quote