Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ragnaroktog

Old March 27th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Has anyone else run into plot point character limits? I'm not sure if this is a bug or just a limitation of the plot point description box.
ragnaroktog is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old March 27th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Can't say that I have.. then again to be honest I have not used that category more then a couple of times is all.
Nikmal is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 27th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnaroktog View Post
Has anyone else run into plot point character limits? I'm not sure if this is a bug or just a limitation of the plot point description box.
How many characters are you linking to your plot points?

(Yes, yes, I know . . . couldn't resist, though.)
EightBitz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 27th, 2014, 10:07 PM
I would give you a real answer, except I don't know. I haven't delved into plot points that heavily yet.
EightBitz is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ragnaroktog

Old March 27th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
I would give you a real answer, except I don't know. I haven't delved into plot points that heavily yet.
I find that interesting, since I find plot points to be the main reason I'd want to use RW, yet it seems to have the least amount of features devoted to it.

Is there a better way to track, say, my party meeting in a hall, what the various people in the hall would have to say, what DCs should be used, etc?
ragnaroktog is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 28th, 2014, 12:04 AM
I took a quick look at plot points and noticed they were limited in that they didn't have snippets. That's why I didn't delve. They seemed simple enough to grasp, yet a bit too simple compared to other things.

Then I noticed there was a scene topic. So, I would imagine you would create a plot point with a brief description, then link it to other topics (scenes, individuals, locations, etc) for more detailed info.
EightBitz is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2014, 12:25 AM
@EightBitz beat me to this one by a few minutes.

Plot point descriptions cannot be shown with the flexibility of snippets, so it really doesn't make lots of sense to put lengthy details into a plot point description. In addition, the description is revealed along with the plot point itself, so lots of details generally don't make sense, as they would all be revealed to the players along with the plot point.

The design philosophy is that plot points are simple elements that provide a convenient, visual outline of an overall story arc. Each plot point would generally be associated with a topic (often a "Scene" topic) that encapsulates all the details of the plot point. You can then have snippets within the topic that are individually revealable, as well as embedded links within those snippets that link to other topics that factor into the plot point (e.g. important NPCs).

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ragnaroktog

Old March 28th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Hey, thanks all. Looks like the Scene option was what I was looking for.
ragnaroktog is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 28th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Add this topic to the tutorials wish-list, please.
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old April 1st, 2014, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Add this topic to the tutorials wish-list, please.
+1

as I also tried to cram everything into the plot descriptions and wondered about the strict character limit.
Merion is offline   #10 Reply With Quote