Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

whiteprofit

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
In the new update, I've found that it now costs 1pp to make a linked power, or rather, it adds 1pp to the total cost for having a linked power. where as before it did not. So now all of a sudden characters that had no problems all have red !s on them telling me they are over cost. I tried reviewing the book and I didnt find anything saying it should cost 1pp to make a linked power, so I'm just wondering if it is a bug or something.

Thanks, otherwise love Hero Lab

WP
whiteprofit is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 26th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Verified by a second party. One of the bugs that was to be fixed was that it was possible to reduce a power down to zero points with drawbacks. My suspicion was that when they plugged that, Linked was also forced to a minimum of 1 pp since it's built as a power in the editor. Unfortunately, I have no way to verify this, but hopefully that gives them a direction to start looking.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old March 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I am one of the folks who raised a flag that with power drawback/power flaw shennanigans you can get a power to cost less than a single power point which is expressly disallowed by the rules.

I too noticed the new "feature/bug" causing my main character's Linked powers to push me 1 pp over budget. My solution was to not use the Linked Powers structure but to buy each power separately and on the power that was the logical "tag-along" I used the 0/rank Power Extra and designated the "primary" Power with the drop-down box. Thus everything came back into balance.

Alternatively, confusion might've been caused by the "+1/rank" section of the write-up on page 101 of Ultimate Power. Where it talks about how the cost adjusts if the powers aren't "must use together" but instead are "can be used separately OR together." Something I think can be easily handled by slapping a +1/rank Custom Power Extra onto all the lesser powers as described.

Hope GAMA is being fun for our heroes who do such a great job on HL/M&M.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; March 27th, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
roguescribner

Old March 28th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I was just coming in here to ask about this. If the powers have to be used together, it should be a +0 power feat. If it's optional, it should be +1. Right?

Using the Linked Powers option in the power list, it adds a +1 to the totals, no matter what. I didn't even catch it at first and felt pretty stupid when someone else pointed out to me that 5+9 does not equal 15. :-P
roguescribner is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
roguescribner

Old March 29th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Oh, and it also affects Alternate Form. Hero Lab provides a base template for powers based upon alt form type (liquid, solid, energy, etc.) but they're all rank 0 powers, but they still all cost 1pp each. So even you don't use all the options of the template, it'll still cost you extra points.
roguescribner is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 31st, 2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the note about this - seems like I'll need to add exceptions so that linked & alternate form powers are handled properly. I'll try to get this fixed ASAP.
Colen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old March 31st, 2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Thanks for the note about this - seems like I'll need to add exceptions so that linked & alternate form powers are handled properly. I'll try to get this fixed ASAP.
Thanks. Hope GAMA was good.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
asvaldson

Old April 24th, 2010, 12:04 AM
This also affects "Multiple Powers" when choosing that to be able to create an Alternate Power subset that involves multiple different powers.
asvaldson is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old April 27th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Any ETA on this fix? It's been a month since the bug was reported...

Anyway, I appreciate the hard work on the software, but perhaps get some of these lovely volunteers to check the updates against their characters before transmitting the updates to the rest of us? Or, possibly, give us a roll-back feature to a previous update? That might help things. I'd also like the ability to turn off notification for updates to rule-sets I haven't purchased.

Thanks for your time, guys.

Last edited by Shadowchaser; April 27th, 2010 at 01:29 AM.
Shadowchaser is offline   #9 Reply With Quote