Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

EricaOdd

Old August 5th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Hello!

I've made a character with the Attack, Melee power as a device. The character also has Trademark and Improved Trademark Weapon -- with the melee attack power as the trademark weapon.

I'm getting a validation error saying "Duplicate weapon selected" for each instance of the Trademark Weapon edge, and a notice that I have to select the weapon to be the subject of the edges.

I can't see any way to select which weapon is the Trademark Weapon, and I'm not sure what "duplicate weapon selected" means.

Any suggestions?
EricaOdd is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 5th, 2014, 12:17 PM
The way it's supposed to work is once you select the Trademark Weapon Edge, there's a selector there to choose which weapon it applies to. It uses the list of weapons the character has to populate that list.

The difficulty lies in the fact that although you have created a power as a Device, that device does not actually appear in the weapon list or even the equipment list. Which is where the program is looking for the list of items to include in that drop-down list.

One hitch here is that although it's set up as a device, that device can be anything, not necessarily a weapon. So, we can't automatically set up a weapon to base the power on because it might not be a weapon.

The bottom line is that since the device does not appear on the weapon list, it can't be chosen directly as the basis for the Trademark Weapon at this time.

The best way to handle this might be to add the actual weapon to the character's Armory list. It will show the additional damage in the notes.

The downside here is that the additional damage will show up on all melee weapons the character carries. We don't currently have a filter that applies the additional damage to only a single weapon.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
EricaOdd

Old August 5th, 2014, 12:44 PM
To further clarify, adding information I should have put in the original post (apologies!)

The Trademark and Improved Trademark Weapon edges came from the Super Edge power. I'm not getting a dropdown menu anywhere to select a weapon.
EricaOdd is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 10th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Ah, apologies. The Super Edge gives you the benefits of the Edge without actually giving the character the Edge itself. Block give the +1 Parry, etc. The problem with Trademark Weapon is that you can't give it the Weapon, you're right. Let me see what I can do with that. In the meantime...
The normal work-around, use a Permanent Adjustment to add the Trademark Edge to the character and select the proper weapon, won't work here for the same reason. There's no weapon to apply everything to when a Super Power like Attack, Melee (or attack Ranged) is based in a device. Things that should affect melee weapons don't affect it because there's no actual weapon on the character sheet.

Let's create a solution. What kind of weapon are we talking about? Melee? Go into the Editor, and create a new file. Name the file whatever your weapon is called.
Go to the Hand Weapon tab, and create a New (Copy) of whatever the weapon is.
Blank out the entries for Weapon Die, Special Damage, Attack Bonus, Damage Bonus, Parry Bonus, Armor Piercing, and Weapon Reach (unless you want to keep that last one).
Change the name of it to your weapon, and change that question mark in the Unique ID to as much of your weapons name as you can get away with (don't change the wp prefix!).
Also set the Uniqueness drop-down to Unique (unless you have more than one?).
Unclick the Treat as Standard Gear check box.
Open up the Source tab and click either Super Powers Companion or whatever Source you are using for the game.
Save the record, and then click on Test Now! in the upper left hand corner.
What we're after is a blank template of your weapon that does only Strength damage.
Go back to your character, and the weapon should be available on the Armory tab, Hand Weapons. Go ahead and get it, and equip it.
It should now be available to pick up on the Trademark Weapon list.
Now, we can get away with this for Melee weapons because Attack Melee affects all hand weapons. Ranged weapons don't work that way, so this won't work the same way with them. For Ranged Weapons, I'll have to come up with something else.

I'll see if a better solution is available when I go through the next set up core updates.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #4 Reply With Quote