Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

BillytheCrayon

Old March 29th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I am looking for some good map creation tools. Something powerful, and if possible, fairly simple to use. I don't mind paying for something, if it does the job good.

I am looking for any software to help design World, Region, City/town/village, interior, dungeon, encounter, or any other types of maps that would help in a large scale Pathfinder campaign.
BillytheCrayon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 29th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillytheCrayon View Post
I am looking for some good map creation tools. Something powerful, and if possible, fairly simple to use. I don't mind paying for something, if it does the job good.

I am looking for any software to help design World, Region, City/town/village, interior, dungeon, encounter, or any other types of maps that would help in a large scale Pathfinder campaign.
Campaign Cartographer fits every requirement except "simple to use". It depends on what you're doing, though. It has some features that are simple to use, and some that involve a learning curve.
EightBitz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old March 29th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I like Fractal Mapper by NBOS software. It's pretty powerful, but easy to use and learn.

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)
Kairos is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old March 29th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I use Campaign Cartographer. Simple maps are simple to create, but you can get as complex as you wish - adding different sheets and layers, applying effects (lighting, glows, etc). The more complex your map, the steeper the learning curve, of course. But an excellent tool for all levels, IMO.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old March 30th, 2014, 07:06 AM
I second (or third) the Campaign Cartographer (www.profantasy.com). In addition, the customer service is excellent. If you have a question about how to do something, they answer quickly (on the forums) or someone else will.

There is one minor drawback. Since most of the mapping is done with small images, it does take up a fairly large amount of harddrive space, about 350mb download.

I am showing a link to 'how to create an overland map' on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr-9BaNC2nQ). Note this is part E just to show you what it can do (this is a "how too video" and I like to review it.). I do not have any affiliation with campaign cartographer.
Mmurphy is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
bitwise

Old March 30th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I use Campaign Cartographer for my city-level and smaller and Photoshop for overland maps.
bitwise is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old March 30th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmurphy View Post
I am showing a link to 'how to create an overland map' on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr-9BaNC2nQ). Note this is part E just to show you what it can do (this is a "how too video" and I like to review it.). I do not have any affiliation with campaign cartographer.
Ah, the wonderful Joe Sweeney!

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
bilwar

Send a message via Yahoo to bilwar

Old March 31st, 2014, 05:24 PM
I use dundjinni I think that's the proper spelling, no steep learning curve, not as costly as CC3 but, it does have costs if you want every thing, you can even use your own tokens in it.
Its not perfect, but, it does do a pretty good job and if you have a good program for resizing pictures or for making tokens, it can be very useful
bilwar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Venger

Old March 31st, 2014, 07:49 PM
Campaign Cartographer is unbeatable. It has a rather steep learning curve but you can do anything you can imagine with it regarding mapping.

They are about to release a new version, CC3+ or something like that, with a new engine that will be something closer to Photoshop layering or something like that.

Last edited by Venger; April 1st, 2014 at 05:03 AM.
Venger is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Ashekelor

Old April 1st, 2014, 08:00 AM
I also use Campaign Cartographer. I am not a person who learns programs of this nature easily and CC3 has a steep learning curve. However by using the tutorial you will easily make competent maps in a few hours.

I would recommend "The Tome of Ultimate Mapping" as a side product.
Ashekelor is offline   #10 Reply With Quote