Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Pilgrim

Old May 15th, 2016, 11:55 PM
I have a question about Realm Works and using it for different systems.

Will it be possible to use with a system like the one from Fantasy Flight? or is that not possible? I am in the process of working on a story / world for a SW campaign (not sure what faction yet). But if I can use Realm Works for it, I would do it.
Pilgrim is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 16th, 2016, 12:04 AM
RealmWorks looks after your campaign, it doesn't know anything about game systems.

(Which means the answer is Yes)
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 16th, 2016, 12:07 AM
You can use RW for any system, really. You'll have to enter however much of the system you want to have in RW yourself, and you may want to customize some of the Categories and Tag Domains, but that's not too hard.

You're not alone either; there's been a few posts from others who are using it for the FFG Star Wars RPGs. One thing a few have run into is the need to convert a font with the special dice symbols in it from OpenType (with Type 1 outlines) to TrueType outlines. If you poke around you should be able to find those threads.

Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
salcor

Old May 16th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Pilgrim,

As Farling and Parody have said it is possible to enter all of the information yourself. It is very helpful to find one of the fonts that allows you to put in the dice symbols in to the text. I have used it off and on along with OggDude's character generator. I decided to slow down on my data entry for RWs until the community store comes online. This is mainly because I want to see how they structure information there. If you want to take a look at what I have inputed, let me know and I will invite you as a player for my star wars realm so you can look at what I have done so far. There are a few other users here who have done star wars realms as well.

Salcor
salcor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old May 16th, 2016, 12:01 PM
On this subject, I would like to see a compiled list of which game systems the publishers intend to release RW products for. Then interested GM's can start collaborating to work out the design details of realms in those systems that publishers won't be supporting. This will allow the broadest array of GM's to share material as early as possible no matter what systems they use.
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old May 16th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Sounds like a really good project to start after the content market opens so we can see what is available and then determine what is acceptable given the possibility of copyright restraints.

I anticipate that we won't have a list of publishers until just before content market opens at the very soonest. There is a list of Kickstarter goals that include various publishers, but that list is probably not indicative or a guarantee of future support from those publishers.
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
salcor

Old May 16th, 2016, 03:32 PM
So here is link to a post on the Realm Works Google+ page where we are discussing FFG Star Wars in Realm Works.

https://plus.google.com/+JTDimino/posts/dZsrwmT4geH
salcor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 16th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Given FFG's license that prevents electronic sales of the books, I'd expect that publicly sharing any actual contents of said books in Realm Works...won't be appreciated by The Mouse.

That's not to say you couldn't share a common structure (Categories and such) which would still be useful, but I imagine certain Trademarks might be an issue even for that. (Unfortunately. :(

Something the community could start putting together is a list of licenses and/or publisher's policies that are favorable or not favorable towards sharing things publicly. To give another example: the Paranoia systems are dead pending a new release this year and the various owners seem unlikely to give permission to share any of it. (West End predates this and Mongoose pulled PDF sales of previous systems.)

Last edited by Parody; May 16th, 2016 at 05:57 PM.
Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
salcor

Old May 16th, 2016, 06:03 PM
If you haven't looked at it there is fan generated program called OggDude's Character Generator. He has been managing the program for several years, through FFG's forums non-the-less. It is probably a pretty good template for what FFG will allow fans to do.

Salcor
salcor is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old May 16th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Given FFG's license that prevents electronic sales of the books, I'd expect that publicly sharing any actual contents of said books in Realm Works...won't be appreciated by The Mouse.

That's not to say you couldn't share a common structure (Categories and such) which would still be useful, but I imagine certain Trademarks might be an issue even for that. (Unfortunately. :(
We obviously must respect publisher copyrights. However nothing prevents fans from developing a common framework that is appropriate for a game system and genre and using it to share fan created content for a particular game system.

For something like Star Wars fan created content would have to walk a very fine line. Almost everything you might care to include is the IP of Disney. But there are lots of other titles where fan made content could be created which wouldn't need to tread on anyone's IP.
kbs666 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote