View Single Post
IBBoard

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry you took offence, perhaps I didn't word that quite right. I wasn't making rash assumptions, I was making a developer's assessment of the situation with the file formats based on the information I have gathered.

My point was that some documentation for 2.x said the compression was PKZip compatible [1]. The data in the 2.x and 3.x files does not, in fact, appear to be PKZip compatible [2]. The Greenleaf ArchiveLib is PKZip-compatible [3]. ArchiveLib also contains one other compressor that isn't compatible with PKZip [4]. If ArchiveLib is used and the data cannot be extracted using standard compression and ArchiveLib supports additional compression formats then the logical conclusion is that the data was compressed with the non-standard compression [5]. If the documents say that the compression is PKZip compatible and the data is compressed with a non-standard compression then the logical conclusion is that the wrong compression format was chosen (for a given value of 'wrong' where it means 'not the one documented and not the one that would make things easier for anyone, including Lone Wolf, to work with in the future') [6].

Relic made Dawn of War (and previous) SGA files as a custom archive file format. They also used Zlib compression for the individual components within that archive. That lets them do what they want in terms of making it recognisable as one of their files while also using a standard compression format. Just because you use Zlib/deflate compression doesn't mean you have to make the whole thing a standard .zip file and handle its short-comings, and just because you want to make a non-standard file doesn't mean you can't use standard compression formats. I'm just trying to understand the documentation vs implementation difference and the decisions that got us where we are now.

1) which is true and I quoted the section from the document. I'll happily supply a copy of the document as well if you want.
2) which is true for all of the testing that I, and seemingly others, have done
3) which is true, and I provided a link to their product page
4) which is true - they have three, one is Zlib/PKZip, one is their custom format and one is an "uncompressed" format.
5) which is true by deductive logic based on the previous three points being true
6) which is also true by deductive logic based on the first and fifth point being true
IBBoard is offline   #9 Reply With Quote