View Single Post
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 4th, 2020, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I've gone through the same. I think the games companies like to reinvent every ~5-10 years so that they can sell a full set of books yet again. For those that have been around since first D&D it just gets repetitive.

The worst thing about PF(1) is that I've been buying PDFs rather than physical books, so the true scale of how many books I own is hidden - rather than being visible on bookshelves.
I suspect the occasional reboots are necessary for revenue, though. First of all, not everyone is going to use supplemental books and modules, so there's some segment of the population whose sales are more or less lost forever after the first sale. That one is, in part, one of the reasons most systems on HLC get only sporadic updates since it's not really driving new sales. Secondly, and this is not something I have any data to support, people seem more likely to pirate or secondhand supplemental items compared to the core book, where they like having a physical copy to pass around to the players. Lastly, the profit margin often isn't there. A single module requires a lot of work, artwork, etc, and then retails for a few dollars. The core book costs more to produce, but will likely sell more copies.
Duggan is offline   #40 Reply With Quote