Thread: snippet tags
View Single Post
DaFranker

Old November 21st, 2016, 06:13 AM
kbs666's example might not have properly expressed what he's trying to do.

If I'm reading correctly, what he's trying to achieve is very similar to what you guys are doing when you use hybrid tagged snippets as tag containers (as opposed to creating new snippets all over the place for each tag you want to add).

The thing is, as users not only do we also find it annoying to create extra tag snippets manually, it's also extra clutter within the topic itself when looking down through it, and remembering to reveal the appropriate snippets when you've revealed a new text snippet about something is extra cognitive workload for a GM.

In the example, if I'm interpreting this correctly, kbs666 has a topic called "Scruffy Ranger" with true name "Aragorn".

Within this topic, there's a snippet that says "The scruffy ranger's name is Aragorn", and he wants the "Class:Ranger" tag to be tied to this snippet. This is both because adding a Tag snippet right under this saying Class: Ranger is redundant since the text snippet already says so, and because it's extra work every step of the way (at creation, when looking through it to find what the players know, when revealing, etc.).

Tying the Class:Ranger tag to the snippet already telling us that he's a ranger would reduce clutter quite a lot, but since there's no simple way to auto-assign those tags to the snippets then the extra work of manually assigning tags to snippets makes it much more front-loaded work than the above options.

One glaring example of this is when you have some very major NPCs with a lot of mental traits, a lot of physical traits, a lot of social traits, some fake identities, a lot of mental traits (but they're really crafty and good at pretending to be someone they're not)... and you want to reveal only parts of this at a time, only certain traits at a time. You end up with a giant pile of "redundant" snippets:
  • Tag: Social Trait: High-born
  • Maximillian is a high-born noble of Waterdeep, a privileged member of the Jorismar family.
  • Tag: Social Trait: Rich
  • Maximillian is filthy rich. He owns several estates personally, and is heir to all the estates of his family.
  • Tag: Social Trait: Poor
  • In truth, the estates own by Maximillian are the only ones seeing any profit, and he constantly has to support the rest of his family financially. Once he inherits the family estates... let's just say he'll be pretty poor then.

See what I'm doing? I want a staged ring of information about Maximillian here where not all aspects of his social status are revealed at once, but in order for that to also translate to the tags and to searching capabilities I have to create double the amount of snippets, with extra clutter, and it's that much more work whenever I come back around and make some changes - then I have to make sure my tag snippets are still always just above the snippet with that information. I also have to reveal or hide two snippets instead of one.

This isn't a big deal for me personally right now, because I use RW solely for my own organization as a GM and I won't have any players ever seeing any of this directly until content exporting is officially out in the stable branch. However, it's definitely something I've looked at and figured could be a problem for this use case.
DaFranker is offline   #7 Reply With Quote