Thread: M&M 3rd ed. PL limit on defenses wrong?
View Single Post
KakarisMaelstrom

Old July 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Being new to this problem, hopefully me explaining my confusion is helpful.

I understand it is a warning now.

So I create a new PL10 character. I push AWE to 11. It now pops up a warning saying I am making a tradeoff. Here's the problems with that:

This trait is too high for the current power level. -- It is not too high.

If possible, Hero Lab has automatically compensated by lowering the maximum value of its linked trait. -- 1, it doesn't tell me what the linked trait is. 2, it implies that it might be compensating for a problem. But if there isn't a problem, why would it say that? It seems like it's warning me about a non-issue.

I could see if maybe you were trying to make it easier for maybe a new user who was less familiar with M&M 3E to explain that the system does require tradeoffs. Personally I'd rather see that information in a clickable tool tip, or in a table down below that shows Dodge + Toughness, Parry + Toughness, etc. and shows where you are in relation to that, so you can easily see that you need a few more points in a particular pair. I do see that you've got the defense information (as well as power information) over on the power tab. The power information makes sense there. The defense information seems like it mislocated on this page.

So I guess in summary, my opinion is that you move the "advice" on the power page about defenses to near the defenses. Then just get rid of the trade-off warning since (at least as far as I understand), it's not actually warning you about something relevant.

I'm also unclear on why it only turns on when you're above 10. Is it trying to imply a trade-off might happen because your defenses aren't all 10? In any case, I don't think it makes any sense.

Happy to provide more information if it helps.
KakarisMaelstrom is offline   #3 Reply With Quote