View Single Post
Shadowchaser

Old March 15th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Couple of tweaks to the current version of Fate Core that we're using that would be helpful.

Mostly, an "Extras" section that lets you add an extra, describe it, and enter how it works. Each Extra should also have a variable Refresh cost that you set. This you can kind of do with Stunts, but when you want to call out certain things as different it makes it very hard to do so. For example:

We're doing a Venture City Stories game. Powers are generally grouped together in a separate part of the character sheet from the other stunts, and their cost in Refresh varies tremendously. Currently, I have to do a lot of math for the software and add or subtract a given amount of Refresh from the character manually. I also have to enter all the information about a Power in the Notes tab.

Here's an example:

Custom Stunt: (Super-Speed)
Quote:
Notes for stunt:
You can move Really Fast (tm). You get a +6 bonus to Athletics rolls involving moving quickly, and you can use Athletics to run up walls or across fluids. You also get a +2 to Fight rolls, provided you're up close and personal and you're fighting in a situation where superior speed would help you.

SFX:
Area Attack- Attack everyone else (foes and friends) in the same zone as your target using the attack value minus 2
Extra Movement- You can move up to two zones for free.
Lots of Actions- You can split your shifts into up to 3 different actions, adding +1 to each

Drawback: Burn-Out

Collateral Damage: If you're willing to tear up the streets with a huge shockwave, you can pretty much travel anywhere in the city in the span of a single exchange.

Cost: 5 Stunts
The reason I can't break those elements down is that (problem 2) the Stunts want to forcibly put everything in alphabetical order. So there's no way to organize things by calling them out in order unless you set aside a different place on your character sheet for Extras.

Extras can also be Vehicles (Like Mecha) or Sidekicks... things that we need to add for certain games.

The software is (as usual) proving super-useful in my current games, and I'm working around some of the limitations, but having a special area for Extras would go a long, long way towards making my life easier. Especially the user-controllable Refresh cost (a simple cost number with up and down arrows would be all I need).

James Dawsey

Vigilance Press at DriveThruRPG.com

The Vigilance Press Podcast

My Art on Deviant Art
Shadowchaser is offline   #31 Reply With Quote