View Single Post
Silveras

Old February 21st, 2017, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Rob, what about the issue where realms are growing and you cannot free up unused records? Won't this ultimately cause everyone's storage to bloat? Especially if they do backups.
Backups are local files on the machine where you use Realm Works. I would not expect them to affect the cloud storage at all.

Cloud service users can recover empty space, though it may be a time-consuming process for truly large realms. Unfortunately, I don't know of a process for those who do not have cloud service.

The process is to remove your local MASTER.realm database file and re-sync from the cloud. In my case, that shrunk my footprint from 16.7 GB to 1.3 GB.

The process steps
  1. Make sure your data is all sync'd to the cloud.
  2. Make sure you know what your password is (if you've chosen "remember my password")
  3. Close Realm Works if it is running.
  4. Find the MASTER.realm file.
  5. Move that file to another drive/location (for safety; you can delete it once the process is completed).
  6. Start Realm Works. You will be prompted to log in, and your saved password will be gone. When you log in, you will also be prompted as if this were a new installation.
  7. Realm Works creates a new, empty, MASTER.realm file where the old one was.
  8. After logging in, all Realms will need to be sync'd down from the server.
  9. Once completed, you can delete the old MASTER.realm file from wherever you moved it to.
Silveras is offline   #20 Reply With Quote