View Single Post
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 18th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evdjj3j View Post
Demo mode was triggered because it has been less that 120 days since the last time I upgraded, my last request was Oct 13th.
That's not how the licensing system works. We actually have a description of our licensing system on our website: http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?co...censing_basics.

Here's some key excerpts (though I encourage you to read what else is on the webpage):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Lab website
When you purchase Hero Lab, you are issued a unique license number. This license number can be used to unlock the product on a SINGLE device of your choice - this can be a computer running Windows or OS X, or an iPad. Completing the licensing wizard within Hero Lab binds the product to the device on which the license is installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Lab website
Hero Lab uses a few key pieces of information to establish the "identity" of your device. This information is configured when the operating system is installed on your device. No identifying information about you or your device ever leaves your device. The identifying information of your device is distilled down into a short string of characters that "uniquely" reflects your device. This short string is transmitted to our server. It is impossible to reverse the operation and determine any identifying information about your system from the short string, so your privacy is secure.

In general, there are only three conditions under which the identity of your device should change:
  1. Installing a new operating system will change your device's identity. This is the same as switching to a new device or re-installing the same operating system after re-formatting your hard drive.
  2. Upgrading your current operating system will often change the identity. (This does NOT include automatic updates and service packs.)
  3. Editing system information that should never be modified after operating system installation can sometimes trigger an identity change. This can occur if you use various hacked versions of games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdjj3j View Post
I'm interested in what changes are being made to the DRM. I'm hoping that it checks during the upgrade for a valid license and doesn't ask to phone home if a valid license is found?
As you'll note above, the system already does this and it works the vast majority of the time. Unfortunately, Microsoft changed some things with Windows 10, which has been causing some people to go into demo mode after new builds. This is not affecting everyone (I have Windows 10 and it works fine for me), but it sounds like you may be one of the unlucky few.

As to what exactly is being changed in the update that I mentioned, one of the developers would need to chime in (I will point them to this thread).
liz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote