View Single Post
timjthomas

Old March 1st, 2014, 01:28 PM
Yep -- all good points. I am a bit torn on how to use the tool. I am not the type of GM that "provides" information to the players -- I keep that to a minimum. I try to tell a story and it is the player's job to remember what they think is important.

If they forget something or remember something incorrectly, that just adds to the game. I really don't want them to be able to look up every detail of an NPC that they have happened to have heard.

For example, I will often provide conflicting information -- e.g., an NPC will be referred to as "caring" by some and "domineering" by others. I don't see an easy way to do that in RW, without putting both pieces of information in the tool. Then it simply stares at them in the face.

I don't want that. I want the players to invest some time in the campaign, make their own notes, draw their own conclusions. I've had several cases where a "good" NPC ends up being an enemy of the PCs based on the way things role out.

I'm afraid that putting things down in writing in some way locks some of this dynamic out.

As I said, the tool is very powerful, and I am an Alpha Wolf backer. I am simply struggling how to use it with the way I run the game.

Right now it's looking like I may not use the tool at all.

I'd appreciate others thoughts. . .
timjthomas is offline   #4