View Single Post
Farling

Old August 18th, 2021, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildj79 View Post
That's a pretty big leap in logic. One that I'm inclined to disagree with.

HLC por files are essentially a proprietary file format. They might just be zipped xml files, but it's still a file format specific to Hero Lab Classic. My guess (and I've been around the foundry community long enough for this to be a pretty educated guess) is that foundry is taking issue with this aspect, and not so much rejecting a module that would be used to import data (there are already several modules in the official listing that do exactly this, import data from json or xml files or parse stat blocks to create items and actors in foundry). The key difference with HLO is that it has a public API that is specifically designed for this purpose.

So, thinking that HLO is never gonna support custom content just because third party vendors might take issue with it is unlikely and kind of a stretch.
Foundry team specifically don't want to allow import from Hero Lab Classic because of the supposed amount of piracy that is rife with the data sets. It definitely is NOT because the .por is a zip file with proprietary XML formats in it.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote