View Single Post
Fenloh

Old May 30th, 2015, 01:27 AM
Hello all,
I am Fenloh and I am from Germany. I hope that you understand what I write and I appologize for my bad english already.

I like the thought behind Realmworks very much, though I think, that many features are missplaced and that there could have been more thought about workfolws and Display optimization. The Look and Feel and the usability are not so good.

First issue for me is, that I like to have larger letters. I havent found out, how to change that. I have a a large monitor setup, and the letters are now very small. It seems, that I am not the only one requesting this. One way to do it would be a standard windows issue the control+scrollwheel, depending on what you used to program your frontend.

Second issue is, that all sidepanels are not so good to handle and are not really practical. Maybe there are other solutions for this. I think it would be much more practical if you used the sidepanel like you have done for the Realm Aspects. Select and then display the content in the center of the screen, maybe even with a preview of the selection.

Third issue is, that the display of the content itself is ok, but I like to move it around, because I have a different order and some things are more interessting to me than others. Also I would like them to see it possible to move them to index Tabs, instead of having them on one page. I have seen the setupposibillity on the Categories. It is really great, just the Tabs may be very useful.Also, as I am sure many have a multiscreen setup, it would be great to drag some tabs form the program and place them somewhere else on the screen.

Fourth issue is, that I have one world, but more than one Story, because I manage more than one group and one set of adventures. So I would rather suggest to have one world almanach, where everything will be stored and different Story almanachs. One Source (Group, People etc) should then be addable to more than one Story almanach. Same would go to the Story board.

Fith Issue, the Story Board. It is great to have that, but it is not really usable. In a storyboard you may have the Storyline, which has already happend (and therfore is a line) and you have your future possible happenings. Many of those can be Ideas and may not have a "line" yet. For me a Storyboard would be 2 things. The first to review what has happend with the Header, the Idea and a possiblilty to write what has really happend, also with a date (Ingame and outgame) To follow the Story as it has happend. The second thing would be my Ideas that can be short story lines, but also single happenings, that I can then drag and drop to the Storyline itself and add the information I need. So you see, that the Storyboard can actually be both, Past and future Story. Also there may be more than one story and each may be connected to a specific Story Almanach. Stories may also be connected to each other through spin offs or Followup, but that is acutally already kind of in the program.

sixth Issue, the Timeline. It is great to have a timeline in the World Almanach, but maybe there can be more ways to select what shall be displayed, not only the by the time. e.g. in many views you would not need Birthdates of Characters or Quest starts, in some views you only want to share Bigger events in the past with players. Also it should then be managable to display "global" happenings and/or happenings from a specific Story almanach. It is hard enough to keep track of the timeline, so I would like to see what I have shared with the players. Btw, do the players see new entries I have shared, can they ID them?

Seventh issue is that in some cases it is not natural on how to use the program. For example to add new Items. There should always be a content pop up Menue (left mousbutton). It is annoying that there is no workflow to it, but I have already mentioned that. A program nowadays should be mostly self explaining and guide the User. Best practice nowadays is to make it usable like a Standard Windows program, because most people know how to use them, and it is really good practice to do so, because they know how to do it.

So, all in all. You have a great product there, but it is at the moment only limited usable for me. Most things are about the Front end only. I know it is one thing to critizise and another way to make it better. I am willing to share my knowledge, as I have designed a lot of workflows in my past, due to my job, but to put that in a text would be hours and hours of work. Maybe you think about those issues. If you like to discuss them and Ideas on how to handle some things, then please contact me.

Thanks for the great job you have done, I know my post may not sound like it, but this is the best product for keeping changes in the Worlds I am GM of. But alas it is a lot of work to keep it updated .

Fenloh
Fenloh is offline   #1 Reply With Quote