View Single Post
MagicSN

Old January 30th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Hi!

I show my suggestions for new features in the following with a screenshot from my version of the 5e datafiles:

http://postimg.org/image/wx43s4hh3/

Explanations:

The part in the top left corner shows how on the first page of the character sheet all attack spells/abilities are shown with Attack roll/DC and (!) damage. So during the game you only need to look at the first page of your sheet during combat and only rarely reference the spell description. Actually the roll/DC value would not be needed for most abilities as your DC/attack roll value is listed in Lone Wolf's version on page 2 (though I suggest to move this to page 1 in case my suggestion would be taken up). These values include stuff like War Mage's Wand etc.

The strange listing of the DCs (3/15) is an optional houserule activated - 15 is the normal DC, 3 is if the player rolls the DC for the enemy. Basically if the player rolls a 12, the result is 12+3 = 15, which means the player says "I got 15", then the DM checks if the enemy the player cast his spell on has at least +5 in the Saving throw modificator (which would be enough to pass the Save, if not it does not pass). Basically it is always 10+Modificator.

This houserule (opposed to the one suggested by WotC it is mathematically sound, BTW ^^) makes it possible that a caster can actually ROLL something when casting a spell. At least in our group players prefer this. And the DM has to roll less.

Another example shows the same for a non-caster-character, though this change is not really needed as the character sheet of Lone Wolf already DOES show melee/ranged data (though again I suggest to move it to Page 1 for quick reference). As you can see it includes modification to attack value and damage for magic items, feats, etc. ("Flameheart" is a houserule item, basically a lower-level version of the Flaming Sword with only d4 extra damage - and the display is "shorter" than in the official dataset, though the talkative "plus 2d6 fire when ablaze" in the official dataset is only a minor issue as their character sheet is much "shorter" so they have more place on the sheet to BE talkative ;-) Mine is a bit cluttered with all sorts of information, I admit...).

The next part of the image shows the optional spellpoint rule, complete with spellpoint cost listed (Spellpoints are an optional rule of DMG, not sure if it is in the SRD). To the right of it you see the spell point slots which are listed if the spellpoint rule is NOT activated.

And the last part of the image shows the "campaign chooser" - certain things like languages and gods will only be displayed if a compatible campaign for them is chosen for this character. To reduce the amount of stuff shown, only show the needed stuff.

As I said I would be willing to help with the implementation, hand over example implementation from my own 5e datafiles or even implement it for the official one (but then I would need access to the .dat files I guess).

I am really interested in these changes, as some of these features are for me ones I do not want to skip (basically what makes it not possible for me to switch over to the official dataset yet ;-) )

All in all I would very much prefer an "all datfiles" version so I can add all features I want myselves ;-)

Thanks in advance (and for all the good work!)

Best regards,
MagicSN

Last edited by MagicSN; January 30th, 2016 at 08:45 AM.
MagicSN is offline   #2 Reply With Quote