View Single Post
Silveras

Old October 4th, 2016, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
You asked for comments. My first is whether you have entered in any of the mechanics? I didn't see any links to rules. Also when you show the dragon NPC, there is no link to a dragon article.
I will comment on this from my experience.

After my first "scratch-pad" Realm, I tried entering a Paizo Adventure Path (Second Darkness), and I entered the mechanics after I had completed the initial adventure entry. I learned a lot by doing things, and am currently revising how this is entered.

Actually having the Mechanics in the Realm is a mixed blessing.

Pros
  • Having the ability to open any Rules topic in a new Tab during play is fantastic.
  • Seeing Rules topics highlighted as links helps make it easy to remember that there may be specific issues in a given encounter.
  • Monster entries are a good place to put "what the PCs know about this creature type" (Knowledge check results)

Cons
  • Many Rules Article titles are common words (such as "Cover", "Concealment", "Movement", "Small", "Large", etc.) that occur again and again in non-rules contexts. The need to click through repeated suggestions of these is frustrating, and it is easy to miss and "Skip" when you meant "Accept" (or the other way around). Using case-sensitivity is not a help, though, as the terms are not capitalized in the text most of the time.
  • The need to manually create plural versions of some terms is mildly annoying. I don't know that there's anything LoneWolf can actually do about it.. but that doesn't stop it from being a minor annoyance.
  • At the time I was doing the entry, this was well before the ability to pick a Game System at Realm creation was implemented. Even so, there are a lot of things to categorize separately (so I made a number of local, custom Article types), and the available icons are just not enough to visually flag the variety properly.
Silveras is offline   #5 Reply With Quote