View Single Post
Chemlak

Old September 10th, 2013, 03:57 AM
I've been using RW for my weekly game (Wednesday nights, UK) ever since I got it, and it's been a godsend in terms of managing the plotline and making sure I cover the encounters I've picked out as essential. Right now there are only two problems I'm having:

1) Calendar (yes, yes, I know, I keep bringing this up, but I really can't stress enough how vital it is for me managing a fantasy world). I've currently got a OneNote file containing my campaign timeline, and it's the one thing outside RW and HeroLab that I've got on the go for tracking the campaign.

2) Sharing revealed information. Again, I know this is right up there in the priorities, but I'm currently playing exclusively via a VTT, with only one player physically present in my house (my wife). Being unable to share revealed info to my players is limiting how much I can use RW at peak efficiency. So far they've been okay with maintaining their own notes and me reading things off, but it's less useful than it might otherwise be.

Having those two gripes out of the way (and they're pretty minor issues, since I know they're already fundamental to RW, just not implemented), I have to say that the control, information management, and the ability to clearly track my plots has made my adventures so far run more smoothly. I'm naturally a very "seat of my pants" GM, throwing encounters and scenarios at my players almost at random within the framework of an overarching plot, and RW is invaluable for helping me keep track of my original intentions, as well as the information the players have learned so far.

Being able to quickly and easily flick from the Story Almanac where I'm perusing information about a corrupt noble family to the Story Board where I can see exactly which aspects of the plotline that family are involved in is truly beautiful to experience.

Just two more things to become available and I will happily consider RW a complete solution to campaign management. I can't wait.
Chemlak is offline   #3