View Single Post
Bidmaron

Old October 5th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Rob, I get your concern, but isn't this just another manifestation of your categories? You've already pointed out that if you import stuff and you have changed your categories, the import might be confused (i.e. if you changed the 'Communities' category to 'Taco Stands' despite the warning in the documentation). This seems like just another variation of that. Maybe I'm not seeing it right, but I don't think people would be too bothered by the colors meaning something different in different realms. After all, when I get a Rand MacNally atlas, there is no standard as to the colors they use versus some other company's atlas, and I don't lose any sleep over that.

As to the icon solution, if you believe colors having different meanings is a problem, icon standardization would be arguably worse.

Cartography has a solution to this, and it is called the 'legend'. If there is a legend with the meaning of the colors or icons, the problem is solved, and there doesn't need to be any standardization whatsoever.

Please at least let us vote on it. I doubt it will make the first (or even fifth) cut, but there really needs to be some method to distinguish between the pins on a map, and colors and/or icons seems a really great way to do it.
Bidmaron is offline   #25 Reply With Quote