View Single Post
sqrw

Old April 13th, 2020, 07:55 AM
Going to jump onto this one a few things:

First observation it's then SR5 logo on the sheets not the SR6 one.

Second, simply design, I know it has little technical difference but a nice looking sheet just well looks nicer and from my experience that makes a big difference. Genesis does a really good job at this, but there are other digital sheets that look good. I pick genesis here as a second example because I happen to have the same sheet in both laying around at the moment so comparing is easy but most SR6 sheets I've seen follow a fairly similar layout.

Tables. The way data is organised very much resembles the way it's presented on the web page but the way it is used is different.

Lets look at the two skill tables. First the generated sheet from HLO, second the same sheet from Genesis.

The HLO version uses 50% the width of a sheet for something (skills) that is one of the most essential information on the game. it also then splits that in two again between active skills (more important) and knowledge skills/languages (less important).

The Knowledge/Language skills are split into two tables in HLO and combined in Genesis. For me the split approach is a lot better since they're two very different types of skills and mixing them makes it harder to quickly find them.

On the presentation of skills. In English we read from left to right so it helps to present information in that order of importance or derivation. Genesis gets this right IMHO, it starts with the skill - if I read over the table it identifies what I'm looking for, follows with the attribute, then rating and end with the result of those two, the pool. It also comes with headings that identify each row. HLO starts w/ the pool followed by the rating and then the name. For me that is quite hard to read - the information I'm looking for (name of the skill) is somewhere in the middle of a row without any highlight that makes it easy to catch it. Both sheets list the specialization in a separate row below, that's good! Genesis, changes front and indents it which for me makes it more visible that I can skip it if I'm just looking for a skill, it also lists the resulting pool for the specialization instead of letting me do the math and finding the right number on a row above.

Attributes

I like that we don't see magic for a character that isn't magic, it cleans up the attributes, however we do get attack, sleaze, data processing and firewall in here that is kind of breaks that (matrix attributes should be their own section and only apply for technomancers IMHO). I still haven't figured out why there are box next to the attributes are.
sqrw is offline   #2 Reply With Quote