View Single Post
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
I'm afraid that it would take quite a lot of different people interested in a previous edition - enough to show that there would be a reasonable return on the time investment we'd need to put into them, in order for us to devote the resources needed to make Hero Lab files for an earlier edition, and to convince Catalyst to expand our license to include a previous edition.

The authoring kit is certainly an option - if someone wanted to create a dataset for an earlier edition, I'll help as much as I can. I don't think there will be many things that need to be acomplished for the previous edition of the files that haven't already been done (or are at least mapped out) in this edition, so I don't think there would be any roadblocks that would prevent someone from finishing the files. Just be aware that building the files will require a lot of time, and that the authoring kit documentation doesn't currently go into detail in a lot of cases, so you'd need to figure things out yourself in those cases.
I am afraid I have to second Mathias on the Time Investment.
Programming data files takes a lot of time. Personally I like the current edition over its previous incarnations, simply for the fact I am not rolling 100+ dice for one attack roll. I would rather have a rulebook for playing in previous eras with the current rules than go back to needing a brick of 3 pounds worth of six sided dice to run and play the game.
RavenX is offline   #8