View Single Post
Meziroth

Old June 26th, 2019, 11:02 AM
sadly our group will not be able to continue with your products.

Because I think its fair to you to explain why:

1. No full offline functionality is a killer. You may tell us to "program it ourselves" so we'll just skip it and manually build our character and use any of the many many PDF creators. We play at a camp once a year. No internet.

2. The subscription model totally kills it. We play with 2 college students and 2 father's. Sorry, ttrpgs aren't getting any of their budget

3. It feels like we don't own what we purchase

But most importantly, it's obvious lone wolf has lost the spirit of the game entirely. TTRPGS are accessible, they cross boundaries and bring people together. This online only subscription model just alienates the poorest. My cousins in South America make $800/mo USD as engineers. They have bandwidth limited internet that's shaky at best. This plus a subscription hurts us.

I understand the economy is shifting to subscriptions as a service, but it's downright anti consumer (this isn't just you, it's happening everywhere).

You claim that HLO is betting on internet connectivity increasing all over. Quick reminder that in the U.S. we are still waiting on 1994s multibillion dollar investment into fibre optic across the u.s.

Question then; why aren't you betting on local processing becoming cheaper and more efficient? Everyday mobile devices and consumer PCs are released at lower pricepoints with greater power.

In the end, we don't understand the financial health of your company, which is what ultimately drives these decisions. It's a shame that a cosmetic DLC wasn't adopted instead for HLC... Skins for the client, simple character model builders with a cosmetic item store, small QoL client modules, etc.

And to those thinking I'm bitter, or cheap, or don't understand the reality of Dev - I'm asking you to consider the opposite; who this alienates

-the college student
-the single parent
-the deployed military member
-the citizen from outside the "1st world"
-the rural resident
-the metered internet user
-the kids, who are genuinely just kids and play out in the world! in forests camping, in school basements, under Bridges... Doesn't anyone here remember this? Playing in an environment that resembles your in-game world even just a little is a magical experience.
Meziroth is offline   #101 Reply With Quote