View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 16th, 2020, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyteach View Post
The number of lines of code is irrelevant. Unless you have some proof that cross platform apps are small. And, if the only lone viable solution is to remain connected to the internet 24/7, then that is a sad state of affairs.
The number of lines of code is fundamental to the situation. It's the Hero Lab ENGINE. Without the engine, there is no product. So either we need to rewrite that engine on a new platform or we need a platform model that can accommodate the existing engine. Given the size and complexity of the engine, and given that it performs extremely well in its current state, that pretty much dictates we adopt a platform where we can leverage the engine we've already got.

I said absolutely nothing about cross-platform apps being small. You apparently just made that up. Please don't ascribe comments to me that I never said. There are massive apps written to be cross-platform. Those apps were written using toolkits other than C++ and would likely be where we focused if we were going to rewrite the engine. But we're not doing that, since it would require a huge amount of time and serve no useful purpose.

The internet is the future. 24/7 connectedness is the norm and becoming more ubiquitous every month. Is it everywhere yet? Nope. But that connectedness is a cornerstone of role-playing games. So we've embraced that. Given situations like the current coronavirus outbreak, that connectedness is even more critical, since many are reluctant to game in person for the time being. I'm sorry you feel our adoption of the internet is a sad state of affairs, but it's the path we've chosen to go down.
rob is offline   #23 Reply With Quote