View Single Post
Murrdox

Old October 24th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I use that a lot. I reveal the stuff the players know, because I've told them (I just click the button while I'm speaking, and then every time they speak to an NPC, visit a location etc. I show that topic and they see everything they know about it. It saves me a tremendous amount of time answering questions my players would know if they took notes or paid enough attention but players.

Of course I write my own content for my own world and almost always enter it into RW first. But I still frequently find myself breaking up long paragraphs into sentences that can be revealed separately.

This was always one of the reasons I had doubts about automatically converting PDF's to realms.
That's how I use player reveal as well. It was immensely helpful for me when playing Shadowrun to keep track of which clues and information the characters had learned over the course of the adventure.

In regard to what daplunk said:

Quote:
By fog of world im referring the the player revealing of snippets. It was a lot more work than initially thought I'd imagine. Having to have pdfs modified so that lines of text that are OK to be revealed to the player are separated out from the original paragraph structure.
I agree very much. If this standard is keeping adventures out of the Content Market, the standard needs to be ditched.

I've been working on an Infinity adventure on and off for awhile to put into Realm Works as an example of a "best practice" adventure. It's hard. There is a lot of copy/paste from the PDF. Sometimes though, there are paragraphs of the adventure that have player information and GM information sprinkled within the same paragraph. So then I have to decide if I split out the paragraph and make some sentences GM Instructions and some sentences Player Viewable. Sometimes when you do this you might have to rephrase a sentence or two so that the whole thing makes sense grammatically.

Given that there are a million different game systems out there and a million different PDF authors, some adventures are going to lend themselves more to this style than others. I don't think it makes sense to force a Realm Works GM to do extensive re-writing on a PDF just to make sure every instance of Player / GM snippets are 100% correct. It's important, sure. But it's MORE important to have adventures in the Content Market to begin with.
Murrdox is offline   #20 Reply With Quote